Winsonar or Winpatrol or System Safety Monitor?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by bellgamin, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

The developer of Win Patrol gave an estimated release date of June 16th.

See the following link to his post on the Win Patrol forum:

http://castlecops.com/t123223-New_version_of_WinPatrol.html

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SSM offers similar capabilites to Process Guard (it will intercept driver/service installs, hooks/DLL/code injection and physical memory access). You may find SSM a superior choice for new programs since it will prompt you on each event asking what to do whereas PG will just block it (even in Learning Mode, though it will add the appropriate permissions for future use). SSM will also alert on registry changes but it can only reverse them, not block them like RegDefend can.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid.

SSM appears to have a nice overall system architecture, but unfortunately it appears to be stuck in the mud (so to speak). Maybe the developers will find a way to revive it. I always root for the good guys. :)

Rich

4. donutbandit

donutbandit Registered Member

The rights to SSM have been sold to a development company, and will terminate the free version in December. You can expect it to be shareware or payware after that.

I am using SSM 1.9.6 beta 2, which strangely tells me that the program expired in May at startup, but runs anyway. This is strange, since the developer has stated that the new version will never expire.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the update donutbandit. I hope that the product is very successful under the new development team.

Rich

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recently ran across a review of WinPatrol, SSM, Process Guard et alia. It's HERE, which is page 2 of the article. Page 2 is the reviews. Page 1 is a discussion of IDS-type programs in general -- pretty interesting reading.

Geek SuperHero is discussed on the above linked review. It's a WinPatrol wanna-be, over-priced at $25, but it does offer a few extras for those of you who still use IE (I am NOT one of those). The Geek's GUI is so cutesy that it gave me a case of the dry heaves. If you prefer a more staid GUI for your security programs (as do I) then the Geek has a brother named DeskTop Armor.

For right now I opted to use RegRun's WatchDog -- another entry in this race of IDS-type doggies. I eagerly await the soon-coming major revision to Scotty (i.e. WinPatrol) -- which is supposed to add features to the paid version that will, hopefully, warrant the price we paid.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Agreed! :D Going OT a little, the author is now working on an update to GetRight - I've asked him to consider offering a multiple scanner option on finished downloads (with GetRight I had to use the Notifications feature to run a DOS batch file to do this). Apparently with GetRight Pro, there will be a scripting language which can address this.

8. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

So many softs editors who are more interested in our wallet than in our computer's security...

Just 2 others similars products:

-Autorun 3.1: http://www.geocities.com/benedict_raynes/

Autorun is more interesting and poweful than Winsonar and is more easy to use than SSM.
    this FREE product scan the system for unknown process and can remove them.

-BrowserSentinel: http://www.browsersentinel.com/

It's a paid product (39.90 dollars) which works as a detection tool (new driver, start up entry etc).
    It uses too much memory and can be interesting only for spywares fighters.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.