winpwl.exe using 90%cpu

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by bubs, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Hi.

Just come across a cry for help on a non-security board I belong to - sbdy who has recently installed win2k has this process leaching cpu resources.

Sounds like a Trojan to me - anybody heard of a nasty which calls itself stg like this once it's taken up residence?

She's been advised to find it and delete it, install a firewall etc etc etc, but maybe one of you guys can advise if it does anything more serious than set the registry to auto-start and then phone home / act as a zombie / or whatever it does do.

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi bubs! I'm no expert, but I just saw an Anti-Trojan Test Report which showed TDS-3 batting cleanup. I'd suggest she get the freeware version of TDS-3 and run it. Here's the link to DCS:

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Hope this helps her. :)

I tested the link and it works. She can get the download from there.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi bubs,

It's the standard name from a well known password stealer.

Running a good and updated AT/AV is recommended for sure; changing all passwords after cleaning the system is a wise thing to do as well.

regards.

paul

4. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Thanks guys - i suspect she'll be in the market for TH rather than TDS ('tho I agree with you P_S - there's nothing better than TDS :D).

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

To the best of my knowledge, there's no freeware version - just a free trial period, which isn't the same thing at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.