WinPatrol whats your opinion or thoughts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dark Shadow, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi Folks! I have seen Winpatrol mentioned here or maybe through somebodys signature.I have seen some good reviews from some users outside of this forum,they seem seem to be good.What are your thoughts of this program?.Is it worth running on vista.

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I use winpatrol free when i install new software. It notifies me about new services and/or new autostarts. Its a nice tool that has very much information in one place. Its also very simple to disable startup programs with winpatrol.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not sure, if I need it in a frozen system, I will think about it. Returnil + WinPatrol, usefull or not ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. Dark Shadow

Hi Erik,I think you may be wright about Retunil and WinPatrol together may not be logical. I normaly do not use returnil all the time.I mostly use it for playing with software that doesn't require a reboot.I wonder If Winpatrol would be helpfull during times Returnil Is Not On.

5. ErikAlbert

I think you first have to know what Winpatrol exactly does and if that important is to you.
    Keep in mind that Winpatrol acts IMMEDIATELY, while Returnil only undoes changes during reboot and that is in theory TOO LATE.
    If you know what Winpatrol does, you have to ask yourself, if it is important to get alerted immediately and do something about it or maybe you don't care, because Returnil will remove malware and possible damages anyway during reboot.

I would never use Returnil, the way you use it, my Returnil would be ON constantly, except when I have to maintain my system partition, like change settings, add new programs permanently, update programs, update signatures, ...
    You use Returnil = ON to get rid of tested softwares and then turn it OFF.
    When you turn OFF Returnil, you have to depend on your security softwares to keep your normal system malware-free.

If your security setup fails and Returnil = OFF, the malware will remain in your system.
    If your security setup fails and Returnil = ON, the malware will be removed in your system and that is an advantage of course.

Winpatrol is security and will prevent damage on your system immediately.
    The question is are you knowledgeable enough to use Winpatrol correctly.
    An alert is good, but is your decision good ?

I have to read WinPatrol first, before I decide to install it or not.
    The quote, regarding WinPatrol in my first post, doesn't contain enough info to make that decision. The website contains alot more info about Winpatrol.

Keep also in mind that malware doesn't always damage your system, it can also steal your data and when that happens, you can't undo the theft.
    If your data can't be stolen because of other measurements, you might consider not to use WinPatrol when Returnil is constantly ON, because the damage will be removed anyway.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  6. Dark Shadow

That makes sense,As far as my knowledge Goes I would say its good but Not great like some of you folks. I am Not a Newbie but still learning, thank goodness for that.As far as pop ups from any hips or behavior blockers, If I am unsure its always Deny.I may just use session lock at all Times.I only been Infected once In ten yrs My fault of course, so I do not worry much.

7. ErikAlbert

If you keep Returnil ON, you know for sure that your system partition is malware-free, because your system remains unchanged.

A normal system partition without Returnil + classical security setup "FW+AV+AS", you will never be sure, your system partition is malware-free, too many holes.
    I couldn't live or sleep like that and that's why I choosed a frozen system.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

There's a stand-alone portable version of WinPatrol available, which can be from from a USB flash drive:
    http://www.winpatrolflash.com/

It's free too. :thumb:

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

WinPatrol does exactly what has been discussed but it is not realy a HIPS & is not obtrusive as some of the other Products. It gives a lot of system information but really ERIKALBERT is correct once your infected or even if it notifies you & you say no you still might be in trouble. Returnil works every time period if its running when you reboot whatever file you were installing disappears & so does any malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.