WinPatrol WAR (formerly WinAntiRansom)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by haakon, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Curious as well....

2. haakon

haakon Guest

I should have said "the NAS" and not "the server."

In the router, the IP address of the NAS is restricted to the LAN. No access to the Internet. This configuration might not be available in economy class consumer routers.

teh webbuhnetz = the Internet. A popular play on words that I enjoy using. If that's what you were asking about.

I didn't mean to go off topic but to throw in my 2¢ in that MountPointManager foibles can be avoided if one concentrates on very specific goals.

[on topic]

3. haakon

haakon Guest

WinAntiRansom 2016.10.580 Final 9/29 edit: Preview Release of the final. See post #459.

Get it now...
    https://data.winpatrol.com/downloads/winantiransom-setup-2016.10.580.exe

See my #444 for the change log as of the day of that posting.

The Programs page in now populated by an inventory of your known-good programs.

If you install over-the-top, what was your Whitelist is now that inventory. On the one system I did the ott install, I selected everything and hit Remove Data and then Search for Programs to "start over." I don't know if that had any value, but it made sense at the time. :)

I did a clean install on my other two systems.

I am waiting on the developer for an understanding of exactly what "Activate Manual Whitelisting" (legacy whitelisting) option does.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
  4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Tried it and too much CPU activity - WAR used 1 to 10% CPU and other things were going off. Also, stopping WAR there was a delay before the icon turned red (red pop-up message had already appeared), and starting WAR during the delay caused the big red message to persist: the big red message stayed there even though the context menu showed WAR toggling between on and off. Had to re-boot to get rid of red 'WAR is off' pop-up.

5. james246

james246 Registered Member

Seems to work well on my system - I use the legacy listing mode which I prefer

6. bidd

bidd Guest

No problem on my Win10 system, it's been installed for 3-4 hours now and running perfectly
    http://i.imgur.com/8PB5JpC.png

Attached Files:

7. james246

james246 Registered Member

According to the WAR Web site this is a pre release not a final release. However I have not noticed any problem on my system. This seems to be World Class software.

8. haakon

haakon Guest

You're right about the wording and I wondered about this until... semantics. Pre as in preview and not precede.

Here's a snip from the email I got in from Bret:

**contents of private email removed

When I posted up #444 with the "is now a full-fledged AntiMalware product" etc. changelog on 9/26, he referred to v2016.9.572 he sent as a pre-release but I was not allowed to post it up.

In the forum post he announces:
    Bret refers to that winantiransom-setup-version#.exe as a release prior to the Final on the Web site download published as winantiransom-setup.exe.

If I continue to post up any of those releases I'll need to refer to them as preview releases of the final. And if there's a winantiransom-setup-version#.exe that is not but post-able, I'll call it Experimental. Which I think I might have done some time ago when Bret called it that.

Hopefully Bret will make a habit of posting 'em up in their forum and I'll maybe just paste the link here if some one doesn't beat me to it.

Anyhow, from his forum post:

Official changelog for WinAntiRansom 2016.10.580
    • WAR now detects Malware in addition to Ransomware. Viruses, Trojans, Rats, you name it...
    • Removed the need for manual whitelisting
    • Added a quarantine and the ability to unquarantine items
    • Sped up program discovery
    • WAR automatically discovers new programs as soon as they are written to disk
    • Fixed various minor bugs, including Allow button not always working properly
    • Renamed “Allow” to “Allow Next Time” and “OK” to “Quarantine” on detection prompts
    • Changed Version to be visible by default on the Programs page

I thought you might also find this of value, from that same email above:

**contents of private email removed

Nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
  9. haakon

haakon Guest

I can confirm bidd's #457 report as the same on my Win10-1607 system.

For my two Win7 systems:

WARinWin7.jpg

If you're really wanting to run WAR you should enter a support ticket:
    war at winpatrol dot atlassian dot net
    The developer is sincerely devoted to and quite adept at resolving issues.

Otherwise, WAR could be Not For You. :(

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

It reads as very condescending to me. So, one shouldn't post bad news about WAR in a public forum? A sample of four, and I'm in a minority.:) For the record, I was running it with just WD. I'll try it again when it gets released on Bret's site.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This is getting weird. So how does it detect all kinds of malware all of a sudden? And I wonder what is being whitelisted, I'm guessing all apps that are related to the Windows OS?

12. haakon

haakon Guest

Oh no! For the 7,774th time, poor Rasheed187 doesn't know how and is wondering and guessing. Somebody do something!! :rolleyes:

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Not funny, I think it's a legit question, and couldn't care less about what you think. :D

So the question is, has it somehow become a super duper "AI/machine learning" tool, that will flawlessly spot every type of malware with almost no false positives? Or has it added an AV signatures database?

14. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

WinAntiRansom 2016.10.580 latest version and my say

War is stopped You are not protected!?

what should i do?

15. bidd

bidd Guest

Try a clean install, it's been running faultlessly here on my Win 10 Asus ROG laptop and Surface Pro, both running Defender and Adguard premium alongside with no issues:)

16. boredog

boredog Registered Member

hakkon? feel free to send me the email quotes that were removed per TOS.

thanks

17. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I put mine over old one ,works great

18. haakon

haakon Guest

Is Official!

winantiransom-setup-2016.10.580.exe has been published as winantiransom-setup.exe

There's no need to do another install if you're already using the preview release you got here or at WAR's LandzDown forum.

https://www.winpatrol.com/mydownloads/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

With the changes they have made in WAR over the past few months the product it would be more appropriate to classify WAR as an Anti-Executable rather than just an anti-ransomware app.

20. beastman

beastman Registered Member

Another question comes to mind now WAR is supposed to be pretty good as an anti malware app as well.
    So lets say you have a lowish spec PC (and don't want loads of security software to slow the machine down) and just run Windows 10 with a half decent AV program & firewall (with proper outbound protection) and just had WAR installed as an additional security app, would that be seen as pretty solid in terms of doing enough for security?

21. bidd

bidd Guest

Windows 10 already has a great built in firewall and AV "Defender" which is more than adequate imo, I've paired that with Adguard premium and WinAntiRansom Plus for what is extremely light on the system and has good all round protection,
    if something gets past that then I'll restore an image:)

22. beastman

Thanks, I thought the Win 10 firewall doesn't do outbound but on checking it does (in a only nag untrusted apps kind of way) so maybe that's sufficient, although the AV detection rate is said to be average at best isn't it?

23. bidd

bidd Guest

Defender is only ever 1or 2% below the top players which is good enough for me and they don't push ads either:)

There are a couple of third party apps that provide easier configurability to the Windows firewall if needing outbound protection, personally I don't bother as I look more for system ease of use rather than answering a bundle of questions/popups on what to allow, Hardware firewalls will always provide much better protection anyway.

24. beastman

If someone has a fairly secure Windows 10 PC, in terms of security software (AV and Firewall but no ransomware protection) and all of their important files are in the cloud, but also synced to the PC, for example using Onedrive or Dropbox would or can ransomware compromise those cloud files? Would the ransomware encrypt the synced PC files which in turn could encrypt the corresponding cloud files?

25. boredog

boredog Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.