Winpatrol conflicts with UAC ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Frankly speaking I never have used UAC ever for a long time. So I am not very accustomed with it. Today I was trying myself to cope up with UAC. But Winpatrol seemed to freeze (stopped responding) during pop-up. It happpened multiple times. OS is a fresh installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. No other security software was present at that time.

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Don't know about a conflict, but I've been turning off UAC when WinPatrol or Mamutu are installed.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks. I also think so because two HIPS can't stand each other.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I had it installed with Win7 and UAC running and i didnt have any issue. Tho i only had MSE and Win patrol running too.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have UAC and WinPatrol on both my Win 7 PCs. No issues for me at all.

Personally, I don't consider UAC a HIPS app. Just a means to grant or deny permission to a change that has been initiated. And for WinPatrol, my biggest use of it is to monitor important changes made to the system. I rely on malware prevention from Sandboxie and Online Armor Firewall's HIPS.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

WP works differently when used in conjunction with UAC...

a)
    Source: WinPatrol FAQ

b) WinPatrol v16 Monitors Changes to UAC Settings

c) I observed that WinPatrol doesn't work fine under a separate standard user account. For e.g. if I were to 'Run as admin' to install a program on the SUA desktop, WP won't bark if changes to start-up, etc are made. I'm guessing that this has got to do with winpatrol.exe running under the SUA tokens and as such is unable to access the memory of the installer/setup file which is running under the Admin tokens. Therefore, if you intend to use WP to monitor installation of programs (to avoid unnecessary toolbars, additional start-up entries etc), then you have to do the installation within the default admin account itself. Alternatively, 1 possible workaround to this is if one uses SuRun to install programs...I'm merely guessing that it might work but I've not really tested it.

P.S. I don't consider UAC and WP as HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.