WinPatrol and Wondows 7

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JRCATES, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Long time WinPatrol user here, but I am new to Windows 7 (have always used XP)

I'm hoping that someone uses this combination (WinPatrol with Windows 7) and can help me with a somewhat annoying problem.

EVERY TIME.....that I simply want to OPEN the WinPatrol GUI....I am greeted with a message from Windows saying:

Can someone who uses WinPatrol on a Windows 7 machine tell me what I need to do to get this message to stop popping up EVERY TIME that I simply try to open the WinPatrol GUI o_O

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Are you running in a standard user account.?

If so did you install win patrol as an administrator.?

3. JRCATES

I believe as an administrator.

When "setting up" my new Dell PC....as I was going through the process, I was asked to "set up a password" - which I believe was actually setting me up as the administrator.

WinPatrol was the first program I installed once I had the computer up and running and internet access.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm the only person who uses my computer, so when I am asked to set up a password on a new computer, I pass on that. I also have a one year old DELL running as the administrator. The only thing I remember is typing my name when asked. When I access Winpatrol, I double click the sys tray icon and it comes on. What's the program that's trying to access the computer? If you know that, click yes when it asks and I would think that would be it. Perhaps because Winpatrol is the first program you installed on your commuter, every time it sees something new it asks you if it's OK. :)

5. JRCATES

Yes, but as I'm sure you know, Dell is a strange bird. They like to be special and change things up all the time.

I didn't ask to have my computer set up in "Administrator" mode....and it was kind of sneaky as to how it achieved that. It didn't say anything about being an "Administrator", it simply asked for me to set up a password that only I would know and be able to use any time that I wanted to gain access to my computer. In other words, making it sound like it was a security measure to keep kids, family, friends, or anyone off the street from being able to walk over to the PC and fire it up and start using it.

That said, I'd still like to know how to deal with this annoying little "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" message that I get EVERY TIME I simply want to open up the WinPatrol interface!

6. JRCATES

It is the "User Account Control Settings" from Microsoft Windows that is notifying me with the pop-up window, and asking me "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?"

The "following program" that it is asking me about is WinPatrol.

Funny thing is....I read the following article which goes in to detail as to how to turn off these notifications:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/119502.aspx

Problem is...the author of the article didn't explain what to do once you move the slider to "Never notify". Because once you do that, you have to click "OK" to exit the settings window. And when you do that, you get THIS message:

...and I'm just not exactly sure how that should be answered o_O

7. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

EDIT: Missed your reply. Just click Yes and it will disable User Account Control (you might want to restart your computer).

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The same message appears in my case, I run as Administrator. But I hadn´t even noticed it, and it isn´t a problem for me. I rarely open the WP interface.

9. JRCATES

Awesome! That worked. After I moved the slider to "Never Notify", I wasn't sure if I should click "Yes" or "No" to the question about:

That did the trick, though. And you are right about having to restart the computer as well. But at least there is no more notification asking if I want WinPatrol to do it's job simply by trying to open the WP interface! :p

Thanks for your help :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.