winpatrol and others like it

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have seen a lot of folks use and suggest it to me as a secondary or replacement to my AV and had some questions. Can products such as mbam pro in real time run ok with it? What other products are like it so I know my options and how well do they protect? last, what else should be used with it besides sandboxing? I have a router, win7 firewall,MSE(changing it soon) and FF with WOT and ad block plus with no script as well. Thanks. Been trying to get something set up for a while but cant decide on what to use but would like to try a product like that. thanks

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's a good learning tool imo.. As for its security, I wouldn't rely on it as a replacement for AV.

The free version doesn't block changes, it just monitors them every X minute and notifies you. Can still reverse most changes though (not stealth malware).

Personally, I haven't tried the Paid version.

The best aspect is its compatibility with almost all systems. Shouldn't interfere with yours.

3. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

Thanks. Yeah i was looking at the paid since it would obviously do more. I dont want to layer a ton of stuff when it isnt a must. I know there are a few things needed but it seems that so much is overkill to me. could be wrong though. Been reading up on what i can but as im sure you know,theres always a pretty equal amount of love/hate for everything

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Win Patrol is a useful security tool, but never was meant to be a replacement for an av.
    WP has always run well with other programs in my experience.
    The Plus version has the ability to monitor things in real-time. That and access to information about programs and processes are the incentive to purchase a license for the Plus version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.