WinPatrol 18.0.2010.0 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by adik1337, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So do I understand correctly, they are same, but freeware does not have "Real-time Infiltration Detection"?

That seems to be the only real difference, right?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Um I did and I install it on all my friends machines, its worth it.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I just installed the freeware Patrol.

What do I need to do now? Nothing? Just let it run and it will notify me if anything tries to change my registry etc?

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Um I found it very handy to see what try's to add itself silently to my startup files. I use it's active task tool often.

5. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Paid version only, I believe.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Free version monitors Startup, IE Helpers, Services, Scheduled Tasks (buggy in 64-bit), File Associations, and HOSTS / other critical system files.
    I find it very useful in detecting potentially unwanted software.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

TheMozart, perhaps a review of both WinPatrol Features and WinPatrol PLUS Features could answer many questions.

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But it's not doing anything. It doesn't even allow me to take a snapshot of my system.

After I installed the freeware version, what am I supposed to do?

9. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Having a real problem with cookies. WinPatrol is looking in wrong folder anmd this canbe changed but does not stay changed. i think it looks in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\ when uac is off but should look in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low when UAC is off.
    I think it has a problem where by its folders it looks in, depending on whether UAC is on/off are reversed
    Going to have to get rid if not fixed. Great program but hate those cookies.

Anyone having this issue? Does anyone know a freeware that will delete cookies on arrival as this used to?

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I think there's something amiss with plus and possibly free? v 18.0 etc.Winpatrol.IE helpers dont show anything except "tool" on my windows 7 64bit.Reverting back to version 17.0 etc and ie helpers show properly.
    ellison

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@TheMozart: WinPatrol Free can only notify you after you're infected. It monitors for changes every X minutes.
    It is useful against adware, and maybe spyware. As for viruses that damage your system.., not effective. Doubt it can do much for Trojans and Rootkits.

Overall, it's nice and simple, but best used as part of a layered security setup. Don't expect it be effective as the only security software on the computer.

12. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Anyone know any coupon code which are working ?

13. BillPStudios

BillPStudios Security Expert

Thank you to everyone who has written to report the check box on the Services screen is busted for 64 bit users. This an another bug or two have resulted in an attempt to support 64 bit users.

So far I’ve tracked down the Microsoft Services bug and I’m working to find what has changed in our Disabled function since this also appears to be broken for x64 users.

Ultimately, I’m looking forward to a 64 bit specific version of WinPatrol but for now I’m working hard on resolving the issues you’ve reported. Watch for a 18.0.2010.1 but the end of the holiday weekend.

Thanks,
    Bill

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Biull, are you the author of Winpatrol?

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Bill is the author of Winpatrol.

16. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I wonder why then he was not interested in answering my question. It is a valid question and he should consider the reason why I uninstalled it, because it's confusing... I installed it but there's no way I can take a snapshop and there is no instructions if I need to take snapshop of my system or not.

I dare say many people will uninstall Winpatrol because they aren't sure what they are supposed to do after it installs, like I was.

There no instructions, no mention about anything.

Bill should consider my honest and constructive feedback

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

uninstall Winpatrol again and this is the plus version:thumbd: imagine the free one:thumbd: the promises and all people around the web testify for it but when it comes to real life situation WP fails:thumbd: i tested with the type of malware they advertise WP will stop but WP plus fails in all my tests,it promisess to block start up malware type and drivers and servicess with their Infiltration tool but it fails again:thumbd: i prefer Mamutu:thumb: :thumb:

18. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Thanks Bill for stopping by and updating us on new version!!

19. Empath

Empath Registered Member

TheMozart, there is a file available under the 'Start / Programs / WinPatrol' group, called WinPatrol Help. It should give you all your answers. If you'll read that, you won't have to have others explain it to you. :)

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

im also finding that realtime monitor (plus version)for startup items doesnt seem to work ,when disabling or re-enabling startup entries on w764bit.Can anyone else verify this?
    ellison

21. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Insufficient help. Lacking information for noobs and beginners. Incomplete.

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Mamutu? No thanks. Last updated Version 2.0.0.22 - 10/7/2009! :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

23. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Why the hack a behavior blocker should be updated constantly?

And you are wrong, last update:

2010-05-28 08:59:

Anti-Malware Network module (revised)
    Community module - 10.05

See here: http://www.emsisoft.com/a2/changelog/mamutu/

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you crazy boy:D mamutu mean :* "Mamutu" is composed from the words "Malware" and "Mutu". The second word comes from the Maori language and means "stop". The name may sound funny but it describes exactly what the program does: Terminate all types of Malware.

and it does what they say it does and it is stop malware:D

i tested with the most recent nasty malware and it really block them all i tried same with winpatrol plus and i was very disapointed:thumbd:

note:mamutu is updating evry single day:thumb: like a regular antivirus:thumb: and it's light
    upgrade and updates are 2 diferent words:)

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This is not a Mamutu thread. Stay on topic please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.