Winners and Losers in 2014

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Dec 13, 2014.

?

How did this lot do this year?

1. Microsoft, winner

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Microsoft, loser

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Blackberry, winner

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Blackberry, loser

26 vote(s)
    43.3%
  5. Apple, winner

17 vote(s)
    28.3%
  6. Apple, loser

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. Android, winner

37 vote(s)
    61.7%
  8. Android, loser

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Linux, winner

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  10. Linux, loser

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  11. Facebook, winner

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Facebook, loser

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  13. Firefox, winner

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  14. Firefox,loser

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  15. Symantec, winner

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  16. Symantec, loser

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  17. Malwarebytes, winner

36 vote(s)
    60.0%
  18. Malwarebytes, loser

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  19. Invincea/SBIE, winner

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  20. Invincea/SBIE, loser

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  21. Chrome, winner

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  22. Chrome, loser

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  23. Other (my choice not on the list) ...

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I agree with most of your other points, but not about Facebook. From my experience it is still going strong. The alternate social media networks like Instagram and Snapchap, are not a replacement for Facebook at all as they offer something completely different.

2. Cmp321

Cmp321 Registered Member

Even Facebook will tell you that their goals are changing though. They don't want to be the place you keep in contact with grandma anymore, otherwise they wouldn't be making the moves they have been making as of late. They are changing their focus to being more about news, being a better Twitter. Snapchat was never meant to replace Facebook or even be like it. Instagram is actually becoming more popular than both Facebook and Twitter. It too is changing, from being about hipsters with food photos and celeb snaps to showing what is going on in the world through on the scene photos.

3. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Winners Firefox,Sandboxie and Malwarebytes.

It has already been stated why already.

Regards Eck:)

4. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Don't know whether this poll is meant for what we think personally or what we think the trend is in general or a bit of both. Anyway...

Sandboxie big winner for me. FF is on a slippery slope downwards. The others I didn't vote for as I've either not had anything to do with them, or they were always the lesser of the choice of 2 evils anyway. I made ONE exception. Facebook.
    Agree. AFAIC it lost as soon as it began with no hope of ever gaining. Major honeypot for the powers that be. What were people thinking when they threw all caution to the wind and joined Facebook. It's a sad indictment on humanity that they have to resort to these places to get a life. Anything at all that casts this site in a bad light gets my vote.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why I hate FB is because they make it hard to manage privacy, the site is way too heavy (even on newer machines), and they use auto-refreshing ads/banners.

In Holland there has been a lot of discussion (in the last weeks) about FB's new terms of service, which basically will allow them to invade privacy even more with more data mining and user tracking. So I really hope that competing services will strike a blow to them. For example services like Seen.is look interesting.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed Raxco Instant Recovery after having used FDISR for some time before it was discontinued some time ago. RIR is a real winner.

AXTM - Can be a solid winner, but not yet.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  7. DX2

DX2 Guest

Winners - AX64, Waterfox, MBAE, herdprotect, WildersForum, Xfiinity - for doubling my net speed to 120mb :D, for free :D.

Losers - Facebook, i only have to because of family., Apple, Google - monopolizing everything.

8. guest

guest Guest

Very well then...
    - The autoplay button has morphed into a repeat playlist button. So that means I can't turn off the autoplay anymore!
    - Lots and lots of streaming initialization failures!
    - Videos stopped playing as if they have reached their full duration, yet it actually only played half of the full length!
    - The search button (which will reveal the search bar) in channel pages does not appear sometimes!

There might be more that I couldn't recall at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plenty of cold and hard perspectives for Facebook, but never for Twitter. I wonder why?

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Your question: Plenty of cold and hard perspectives for Facebook, but never for Twitter. I wonder why?

And if Twitter was on the list how would they have performed in 2014? Winner or Loser?

NB: My list for 2014 was intended for those that had made some significant changes in 2014. Was this a move a winner for them or not. Twitter made no significant changes in 2014 whereas FB made several moves. Both however played a significant role in world politics.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. The ongoing issue for me has just been problems with streaming stopping part way though a video. My current ADSL internet connection is rather slow at times, but even a few years ago when my internet connection stayed at around 7Mbps all the time, I still had the same issue.

11. guest

guest Guest

I don't know. I don't use it.

I was talking in general. A lot of people show clear distaste for Facebook, but Twitter has almost never been criticized equally. There are of course news about online frauds surrounding it but all other web services share similar problems. Considering that I treat both the same way, it slightly makes me curious.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This happens to me once in a while, but I think the HTML5 Player needs to be improved before it can compete with Adobe Flash. For example, it downloads whole videos instead of just streaming data what's needed, quite dumb. And about Twitter, I hate them even more than FB because that site is retarded: a horrible design and just pointless.

13. guest

guest Guest

Dailymotion never had such a problem despite it also uses HTML5. Well, I do admit that the time I spend on Dailymotion is 1/10 than on YouTube.

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx to all those who participated in this poll. I think we can now call it done.

2014 biggest winner: Android. Malwarebytes coming in a close second. SBIE coming in third.
    2014 biggest loser: Facebook

The results are not too surprising considering Security and Privacy are at the core of this community. Features and new stuff also in the mix. The most concerning but not surprising result (for me) is Firefox. Not too much spread between winner and loser votes. I hope they get it together in 2015. Possibly Mozilla's 2014 played a role in how the vote split. :doubt:

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thank you emmjay! Poll is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.