Windows98SE Patches...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Should I apply all the Windows98SE patches to my PC? I don't want to use the windows update, because then I have to go through the hassle of disabling it, is there a way I can download all the necessary security patches, and install them myself without running windows update? and if so, should I apply them? (I dont want this computer to get messed up by the patches)

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

3. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

AXCEL216's Free Windows Software Essentials page (you'll find a lot of updates here for Windows)
    Ray Clements's Windows 98 Updates page (archived [discontinued] page of Win98 updates)
    Techspot.com OS Updates page (nice page of updates for Win98 SE, 2000, ME & XP)
    Microsoft Download Center [the best place to search for and download patches and updates for any MS software]
    MSDN Online Downloads page [download site for software developers; not for novice users]
    Microsoft Windows Update Site (this site automatically scans for & installs updates for Windows)
    Microsoft Windows Update Catalog page (this site allows searching & saving updates onto a computer)
    Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter page (go here if having trouble using the Windows Update site)
    Microsoft Windows 98 Corporate Downloads Page (old Win98 updates page for corporate & advanced Win98 users)
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition [ME] Update Page (very few updates featured there)
    Windows Desktop Product Life Cycle Main page (go here to determine how long Windows software is supported)
    Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List page (go here to search for compatible hardware drivers for Windows)
    Microsoft Help & Support main site (main page for support on MS software)
    Microsoft Support Knowledge Base Search site (search for MS Support KB articles here)
    Microsoft TechNet Security Site (check here for new security bulletins, security fixes and workarounds)

4. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

The above listed are not LIVE so you can go to this page:

http://members.tripod.com/erpman1/w98meupd.html

Look at the bottom of page for the above links.

5. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

One suggestion: Leave the Drivers updates alone unless you REALLY know what you are doing and looking for. One WRONG DRIVER can can spell REFORMAT

6. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

USE AT OWN RISK: THIS IS AN UN-OFFICIAL SP 1 FOR WIN98se

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

7. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

!! WARNING !!

DO NOT INSTALL THE ABOVE LISTED UN_OFFICIAL 98se SP1

Installing it (as a test) blew my computer away. Had to re-install windows. ugh!
    The SP 1 appears to be a collection of programs from 98se ME and win2x. Even a back-up of the registry didn't correct the problem it caused. Am not at all certain what flavor of windows the computer is not. The monitor crackling. An os much to fast.

8. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I wouldnt apply an unofficial patch, anyways, I probably wont update until tomorrow, I might end up using just the Windows updater. :doubt:

9. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

An you would be correct not to use an un-official patch. Its not good computing practice.
    For TESTING purpose such as mine the worse results are always expected..thats part of testing....an helps prevent problems for others.
    Its not unusual for me to format a couple of times a day or a week . Nowadays my time is limited so the test of that patch may be the last test for a while.

10. _Ralph_

_Ralph_ Registered Member

I downloaded the patch last night and my system is running smooth as silk . It changed the appearance a bit but that was an easy fix since I had my settings stored .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.