Windows8FirewallControl

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Saint Satin Stain, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I decided to use XP Pro SP3 for a little longer, 2 years maybe past the Ms expiration, so moved most of my security to Vista machine in the kitchen. I decided to research and choose security layers which would secure XP for awhile.

I chose Windows*FirewallControl as the firewall; I'm testing the free version now, seems robust, a few more popup messages asking me to decide if I should allow xxx or not. Anyone here familiar with it?
    I could really use some help and guidance.

I have in tandem NetGear WNR1000 Router and Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router, Windows firewall, Windows8FirewallControl, Clam Sentinel and ClamWin Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, Panda Cloud Antivirus, SpywareBlaster (autoupdate), Sandboxie, BootkitRemoval_x86, VBA32 Antirootkit. Seems to work fine. I experimented with the double router because I also wanted the added protection before the desktop. No perceptible decrease in surfing or download speed.

Some friends tell me I won't be secure even with this setup. My group has tested, assaulted my network; so far one succeeded in shutting down egress to the internet. I did the test with the permission of my ISP, a representative visited, and we sipped Sidamo black no sugar while we watched. No breaches.

My Nexus 7 and 4 have more power, 2 gigs, and Quadcore than this XP desktop with 1 gig and dualcore. I have open the programs I usually have open to use, Copernic Search 2.3 build 18, WordWeb Pro 7.04, Password Safe 3.33, Jarte Plus 4.5, and Say the Time 11.01, sometimes K-Meleon (homepage American Heritage Dictionary, a button on wordprocessor opens it.) without problems.
    AMD Athlon 5000 DualCore, 2.21 GHz Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3
    I gig RAM. Available:492, 104 KB; Kernel mem 64,516 KB/paged 41384 KBc\; commit mem 702192 KB, limit 2220508 KB; peak 1330844KB. I only do text, surfing, and some sound editing sometimes; make my own ringtones, tag songs, and make compilations.

Last date I go to Windows Update April 7.

I've reduced Services to necessary, useful, and wanted minimum, uninstalled Telnet; browsers and email client sandboxed, so too DVD/CD drive and antivirus scans any usb drive attached auto. No one else uses my computers. You never anyone else use your computers, bicycles, or wife.
    What have I forgotten? Probably a lot. Tell me; be lean, mean, and helpful. I have Open SUSE waiting in the wings.
    I know the malware is getting smarter.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Very nice setup, but I think, that you can loose ClamWin Antivirus with Clam Sentinel, it is kind of weak and a bit of overkill, since you have Panda.
    SpywareBlaster has also seen better days, better to use HitmanPro as a startup on-demand scanner. Do you use safer DNS, like Norton, OpenDNS?

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

W8FC Free ist complete waste of time. granular rules/zones only with paid. even the built-in is much better. btw anytime use ONLY ONE firewall! and you are overprotected with such collection of rubbish av.

4. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I have Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete on other desktop, on desktops of two relatives, and on my smart phone and tablet, and the smart phone of a relative, so decide to add this computer. It needs all the help it can get, I guess. You are right about ClamWin.

Now with Webroot I can monitor all the protected computers on my page at the Webroot servers.

I harden the system, which includes uninstalling some features not used and unnecessary, such as Telnet.

I have security apps which cover most attack vectors.

SpywareBlaster still good app; WinPatrol a steady and useful app. Of course Malwarebytes a good second opine, and I'm trying their antirootkit, but still depend on gmer.
    I dont use Firefox anymore. I have SeaMonkey (default), Comodo IceDragon, Pale Moon, K-Meleon (four gecko browsers), Google Chrome, IE.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has an Android app too; I use it along with the Webroot on my Nexus phone and tablet.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

One question for Windows 8 Firewall control users: does portable version of program save logs of blocked outbound packets that were blocked by Windows firewall? If yes, where can I find them?

6. Brummelchen

same folder es EXE-file -> blocked.log
    open the settings tab and click right lower edge on the small book

7. Minimalist

OK thank you for answer. Those options are grayed out and can't be enabled. Maybe that option is possible for installed or Plus version only.

EDIT: I have found found Portable version Pro and it allows logging. I will test it for a while...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  8. Brummelchen

9. Minimalist

Thnx. I'm using last version 6.1.9.53 (Portable Pro). I really like it and use it as windows built-in FW log collector.

10. henryg

henryg Registered Member

The plus version is definitely a much better choice. Just by having System/Core application protection is a big plus. Also, having control over Port Forwarding is another essential option for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.