Windows10 Update question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Amanda, May 9, 2016.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

You are totally wrong.
    The upgrade is for the same version (Home to Home, Pro to Pro).
    ---------------
    Correct.

2. guest

guest Guest

i know that , i mean you have the home version , are not satisfied because you want more control over updates , then you have to buy the Pro version (at least). i didn't implies pro version owners.

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Nope. Previous versions of Windows did NOT have extensive telemetry as a money source.

Not exactly what I asked, but that's OK.

Yes. I upgraded from 7 Ultimate.

Sure :)

True, but again that doesn't mean this new policy is correct or even ethical. If you notice, Microsoft wants control of EVERYTHING in our computers with Windows 10, that includes our personal files. In previous versions of Windows, even the freaking STARTER version had full control over updates! hehehehe. I had the Home Basic version of W7 and it too had full control over updates: I could chose not to install any updates, or chose only a few that *I* wanted.

True. I just remember that Bitdefender free is a POS when it comes to customization.

But that restaurant wants to force me to drink as much water as THEY want and whenever THEY want. Just because they offer me free water doesn't mean they should force me to drink as much and whenever they want. The same for Windows, just because it's free it doesn't mean users should be forced to update to whatever and whenever Microsoft wants.

I don't agree with that also. I almost never use the features of Ultimate, because I look for free alternatives.

I didn't mean that as an offense or to insinuate you're stupid. My sincere apologies.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

.... and this phrase?
    =

5. guest

guest Guest

im not native English speaker so sorry if my sentences are not clear; now MS is on a new marketing model; which can't be compared to the previous one; basically " free for all " (with some downsides), paid versions with more features and control (for those who needs) ; obviously for more market shares and incomes (as any company).

The old win7/8 home were paid so they can't really force their new politics (forced updates, increased telemetry, etc..) to the customers, nobody would buy... For that, they made Win10 Home free; if you dislike the downsides you are oriented to upgrade to pro versions. It is a clever move but not forcibly nice or ethical. MS isn't a NGO it is a business company.

My whole point is not about if MS is wrong or right with their new politics, but to say that if you dislike the downsides, you have the option to upgrade (to remove them) or quit.

6. anon

anon Registered Member

@guest,
    Thanks for clarification.

7. login123

login123 Registered Member

Couple of things.
    This whole foofaraw reminds me of the business model that bankrupted american car manufacturers.
    Use your base model to upsell more stuff.
    Only works if the base model is selling well. See post #26.

Free or paid or enterprise or whatever, I can not trust win 10.
    Amply demonstrated by the unpredictable upgrade setup for win 7 and win 8.1.
    I don't see how professional people, like lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc, can possibly buy in to an OS that advertises that their computer may be used to serve files to other win 10 computers. Maybe I'm missing something here?

I think microsoft has again shot itself in the foot. Has been their pattern for years.
    Market a pretty good OS, than a pig, then pretty good, then a pig...etc...

I mean no offense. All the opinions on here are well reasoned and worthy of consideration, imho.

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@guest Paying for W10 makes no difference at all, the "free" Windows 10 is exactly the same as the paid Windows 10.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@amarildojr The Pro and Enterprise versions are not the same.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I know. Enterprise is something that the vast majority of users, be them at home or at work, will not use. I should've been a little more clear in my previous statement about what "paid" meant in that case.

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Most users are clueless. I don't care what they want. Some here do think that they can limit what they share with Microsoft, one way or another. I no longer think that's possible. So I treat Windows like malware. So it goes.

12. mirimir

I only install Windows with Internet connectivity through nested VPN chains, perhaps with a Tor hop in there for good measure. For the most part, that's in a VM. But occasionally, if I need to crunch a ton of data in Excel, I install on a physical machine, which hits the Internet through a nested VPN/Tor chain running on another host. That's a machine, by the way, that I picked up used, for cash.

13. mirimir

I don't care about that. If it's on my hardware, I own it. They can go pound sand. Or whatever.

14. mirimir

I've installed it maybe a dozen times, and I totally agree.

I'm just not going to let it know who I am :)

15. mirimir

Maybe you'd have better luck with Windows Server? It's been a while, but I recall that minimal installs were possible.

16. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It's really not all that difficult, no need to do a minimal install. Services, scheduled tasks, autostarts, and other unnecessary parts of the OS can be disabled or removed post install. Some of the more pesky ones like Windows update require ACL tweaks but the telemetry service can be simply set to disabled. One can also take ownership of the ACL structure which by default is owned by "Trusted Installer" which is MS. That is actually a necessary step to do ACL changes to system files.

There has been another piece of false information in a couple of posts on this thread. Windows 10 is not cloud dependent. It is optimized for cloud services compared to previous versions of Windows but it is still an autonomous install of a full Windows system and the cloud components and services can be disabled. Onedrive and Cortana are disabled right off the bat along with forced updates and telemetry. In my systems that have MS update disabled, I've seen no ill effects in almost 6 months without updates. That is the basic proposition of "ownership". I choose when and how to upgrade, not MS. I will take measures to enforce that ownership which is nothing more than taking ownership of a couple of system files and changing the ACLs to deny. Voila, no more forced updates, I'm in control.

17. guest

guest Guest

Having Win10 Home and paying for Pro or Enterprise will make a BIG difference. It is what i meant, maybe i was not clear enough.

18. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Windows 10 :

Have a couple of PC's having problems with Windows Updates?

Could you give steps in solving/correcting the windows update issue with the problem.
    Will not download and/or install? Or what to check, ect...

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

20. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

@roger_m

Next suggestion, please? Anybody? Remember it just on two of my PC's!
    Not the rest of my PC's. Total 4 PC's !

21. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

1 PC, that happens, but 4, that can not be a coincidence. Some setting or a software is most likely causing it, usually security software.
    What AV, firewall you are using? I have bat file to fix most common problems with WU, try to run it as admin, it will take about an hour.

22. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

After a few days without checking for updates, Windows displayed "working on updates" on it's latest shutdown, even though I configured the group policy of "Configure Automatic Windows Update" to DISABLED and set all my connections to Metered (via regedit).

I noticed the Windows Update task was enabled and set to run daily, but I didn't bother to disable it because I thought all those settings about would prevent it from running ;)

I may check again with DestroyWindows10Spying to see if it disables the update task. Either that, or ShutUp10 should do the trick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.