Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Overkill, Aug 7, 2016.

1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You're welcome. All that's missing is the original XP start button/menu which can be installed with Classic Shell

2. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Do you guys know if the POS tweak still works? I would like to try it on my MIL's pc

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, it's still works.

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Thanks!

5. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

Funny...Just yesterday I got my giveaway ZAM license (400 days),and used it on WinXP system with DW Firewall Edition & Shadow Defender.Still in love with that little blue ugliness. :thumb:

6. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

7. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Still working here also....

8. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

hmm - I'm getting "No High-Priority updates" after making the registry tweak - that seems unlikely. I see lots of optional updates, but all old ones (pre-April 2014)

Are you guys using MS Update through IE8 or is there another update tool you use?

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can run command prompt (cmd) and then run:
    wuauclt.exe /detectnow
    Wait for a minute or two and you will get notification about windows updates. I got August updates that way and few past months also.

10. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Guys I haven't done these updates. A few questions:

- What about that awful "(dis)advantage tool" which I stomped on years ago - does that have to be operational?

- Is there a list of updates somewhere that should be avoided or do you guys just DL and install them all?

(If I was ever cautious about M$, then I'm much more so after the increasing Spy OSes post XP)

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

WGA doesn't have to be installed.
    I only got security updates for Windows XP so I download and install them all.

12. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Not using IE at all, just turn on XP and wait for the yellow notification to tell me I have updates like I always did, nothing has changed...just got a bunch in the last 2 months. I dont use that computer much only once a month or so but it has always told me with no prompting about available updates...

13. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

No XP updates to avoid as in Windows 7 & 8. MS not trying to make you upgrade to Win 10 so install any and all without worries....

14. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Minimalist and bcsman, thanks. Someone gave me a W7Pro computer and would you believe it, I feel much safer w XP. I can't even make myself put the W7 near the internet at this point. I thought you had to have IE to do any updates.

15. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

When I read that last post by Reality, I felt that I wanted to also go back to Windows XP, I loved Windows XP x64 Edition.

16. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip - I think I've figured it out... The SP4 update includes the POS tweak - after I installed SP4 & launched WU I got an additional 51 updates. It looks like these are as a result of the POS tweak. So it looks like I wasn't getting updates cause they're already installed - ooops :)

17. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

As I said, you can theme your Windows 7 computer to look like Windows XP. Love the classic look and feel.

18. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

This "tweak" only worked for about 30 days... then I got in a endless loop of... "Activation is required to login", but proceed and get a "already activated" - click "ok" and kicks me back to step 1 - repeat forever...

to get out of the loop... boot into safe mode with cmd prompt (if it asks for activation just keep going - it let me in) - launch "explorer" - go to start menu "run" and enter "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" - then reboot normally. this only gave me a few days grace & then had to do it again...

So to undo the wikihow mess (link above) - remove the permission change to deny system - delete 1 number from the string entered for OOBETimer (this deactivates the license key) - go to "run" and enter "oobe/msoobe /a" which should launch the activation & enter a legit key...

I thought I would try activating online one more time before using the phone & it activated without asking for a key - I guess it successfully pulled the key from the Bios - so hopefully that's the end of this for me :)

19. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

The BIOS just has a string that allows activation for OEM installed systems for Windows 7 and earlier. All these systems use the same product key for each individual manufacturer and have a manufacturer's certificate installed. Windows checks the product key, BIOS string and certificate and, if all match, activates. It does this check on every boot. The product key on the COA is not the same as the OEM install uses. That is a unique product key that can just be used to activate one machine. I generally use the OEM installed system and save the product key on the COA for a VM. Starting with Windows 8, the product key is stored in the BIOS for OEM installed systems. That is why there is no product key on the sticker anymore.

The only times I've had an unused product key fail to activate have been due to network connectivity issues.

20. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Thanks for clearing up my terminology - I did know there were 2 license key thingies :)

When I did a clean install & was asked for a key I entered the one on the sticker outside the case - this allowed me to install, but failed to activate automatically after installation. But, when I changed OOBETimer to deactivate the license I was not asked for a key when I launched the 'activation wizard' - so I assume it found the string in the BIOS. How should I have proceeded with the clean install to use the BIOS string in the first place - I think i needed to enter a key to proceed with the install if I remember right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.