Windows XP with LUA + SRP + ??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I have been reading with interest the two recent threads on LUA and SRP SuRun: Easily running Windows XP as a limited user and Maximising Windows XP security with LUA and SRP started by Tlu with additional precious contributions from other posters.
    To my mind, it appears to be a very sensible and relatively down-to-earth (after the initial setup) approach to security for someone like me who doesn't particularly care for trying the latest HIPS or tweaking the OS forever. I certainly need to study the whole thing again, in one go, to firm my understanding before implementing it.

Having said that, in the next month or so I intend to make a fresh install of XP slipstreamed with SP3, and I am beginning to ponder what other security apps to add to LUA+SRP.

It would seem to me that two additional items would be needed:
    1. a two-way firewall. At the moment I am using OA Free together with its HIPS, but I would disactivate the HIPS. Any other suggestions for a firewall?
    2. a behavioural analysis security application like Threatfire. Alternatives?
    Also, as I would be browsing with Firefox and NoScript, would SandboxIE still make sense?

Any comments appreciated.

2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

my piece of advise is stick to OA...great piece of software and the sandboxie,which has prooved its strength over time and arised triumphant

3. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

1. Why you want to disactive HIPS? OA Free is superb. I used that earlier but bought 2 year license with that May discount.

2. ThreatFire is good. You can test DriveSentry too. There is coming free version too.

4. newbino

My understanding, but please correct me if I am wrong, is that LUA + SRP should prevent malware executing, and thus, in effect, act in a fashion as a HIPS

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

By two-way firewall, I'm assuming your wanting leak prevention? If you disable OA's HIPS, that may hurt the leak prevention. I'm not sure about this so someone like Mike or Pete would have to confirm or deny it.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A fw without HIPS can still be two-way if it can restrict selected applications to how/where they connect regarding directional control to local/remote ports, ip address, as well as selected protocol (UDP/TCP). I have software fw's that do this with "HIPS-like" features built-in, but I use the latter in only a limited fashion. With LUA/SRP, especially as described in those threads, you are in very good shape. Your machine will be locked down like a bank vault. Personally, it's not the way I like to do things, but I can't argue its system hardening effectiveness.

7. newbino

Correct, innerpeace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.