Windows XP UDF and Acronis TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by buju, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buju

buju Registered Member

QUESTION:

I really wondered about this - why is an external DVD burning software needed when XP itself DOES HAVE UDF FILE SYSTEM CAPABILITY? After all one of the so called tweaks required to make the burning to DVD is to switch off XP' own Drag and Drop capability.

BUT, remember that Acronis is so adamant at saying that only one of 3 possible UDF software solutions listed in their FAQ can be used to be able to burn DVD's? What about WINDOWS XP's OWN UDF system supporto_O
    Why isnt't a user using XP able to burn DVD's without needing Roxio, or one of the other two recommented CD burning software solution??

And guess what? Here's what I found at a sister Acronis website:

"Since Windows XP supports the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system, Acronis True Image can take advantage of this file system and create images via the UDF. Once the file system is mounted in the read/write mode, the software detects it and writes the image to a file created on this file system."

Acronis Support: what's the scoop?? o_O :rolleyes:
    If I could use XP's own UDF support Acronis would be way more apealing than it is now, when I have to use software that I may not want to use...

Please advise. Thanks,

buju

2. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Registered Member

I wasn't aware that you could burn DVDs in Windows XP without using third-party software. o_O

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  3. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

You cannot write UDF discs in XP without third-party software (InCD, DirectCD, etc.). XP can read UDF 1.02, 1.5, and 2.01 written discs but definitely cannot create them.

4. buju

buju Registered Member

OK, that explains it.
    Wonder how come that Microsoft stopped half way??
    Weird.

I guess that in the end they will add the writing capability as well.
    In that case Acronis would not have to add the UDF support as instead they would use XP's UDF based writing capability.

Let's hope that that will happen soon.

Thanks for the education howie123.
    Cheers,

buju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.