Windows XP, the Legend: Still Third Most-Used Desktop OS 2 Years After Demise

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Apr 8, 2016.

1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB has the same configuration as Windows 7. With Classic Shell, I replaced the new default hybrid menu with the start menu used in earlier editions of Windows ending with Windows 7. Problem solved and I really like it.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

@MisterB
    I agree with your previous post. You captured most of the reasons why I refuse to switch to Windows 10.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am in the same camp. The only thing new 10 brings me is headaches

6. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Still XP here triple booting with win7 HP and w7 Pro

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I loved my XP, I would still be using it every day if it wasn't because it died. But when it died I had to replace it with something, and despite all the noise I had heard about W10, I made the decision to replace it with W10. When I bought my last W7, W8 was already out and still decided on getting the W7 instead, even though it costed more and got a less powerful laptop, in hindsight, I think I made the right decision then.

And I think I made the right decision now also.For all that matters, I use the W10 pretty much identically to how I used XP and still use my W7. Not much difference. I am using same programs and they all run well. The only program that I decided to stay away from is Shadow defender. I am going to stay away from that kind of program in W10. And haven't experienced any issues. What I notice differently is that when the system updates, a day or two later its still doing things related to the update. When I first got it, I didnt know that and it felt like I was fighting with the system to put it at ease. But now that I know what it is doing, I go along with it. So, its just a matter of getting to know the system and how it works.

Privacy. I am going to shock you. I disable most privacy settings but some gets out, right? I am not worried about the information Microsoft gets out of my computers. And if an agency from DC while doing their work gets info out my computer, it doesn't bother me. As far as I am concerned, they work for me. Their end is my end. If I was worried about Privacy, I would stay away from using computers in general.

Bo

8. NormanF

I have Windows 10 set up to look like Windows XP! Right down to the GUI and wallpaper!

And I love the XP double column menu that can be made to appear with Classic Shell.

9. bo elam

To me, more than looks is usability whats important. I use W10 like I used XP and W7. You can browse using File explorer the same as we did with Windows explorer, different name but serves same function and functions basically the same way. W8 would have been horrendous for me with Start menu missing, I would have been very uncomfortable using W8 but Start menu making a come back in W10 is what makes the difference. Using shortcuts to run programs is basically the same as in the past.

I prefer not to install programs, like Classic shell, for changing how things look or function. I think W10 looks modern compared to XP, but that's all. I dont see nothing wrong with that.

Bo

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. NormanF

I like the old start menu... I don't think the hybrid one in Windows 10 is very efficient and Classic Shell brings order out of
    chaos.

The main reason to upgrade from Windows XP is the improved security and ease of use - if you can make changes to it with third-party programs, Windows 10 can look, feel and function a lot like Windows XP.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Why Shadow Defender, what kind of problems did you experience?

12. appster

appster Registered Member

For the most part XP is still running on very old (e.g., Pentium) PCs which will not support any more recent version of Windows. So moving on from XP is (mostly) a question of hardware. Sure, if XP is running on a 'strong-enough' PC a newer Windows version is a possible upgrade consideration. But if XP is running on a really old PC that you need/want to preserve, then any more recent Windows would run like a slug on those PCs (if it runs at all)! Linux may be the only salvation for safe computing on any such really old PCs.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  13. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I don't like the Windows 10 Start Menu. I prefer the Start full screen, Windows 8-style. Seeing all the installed apps in a full screen is very nice.

14. bo elam

I haven't installed it. I want the system in my W10 to be as clean as possible. Not installing SD (a program I like but rarely use it) should make things easier when its time to upgrade. And to be honest, I want to avoid installing programs that have to do with booting or security. I feel safer and better this way.

Bo

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have XP on 2 old laptops, one of them is used by my wife always in shadow mode (Shadow Defender) no security whatsoever the second one is an emergency unit which is never used. For me XP is just a very old OS which has done its time. I agree it is still good on old machines, but Windows 10 (64 bit) on new computers is unbeatable in terms of performance, stability, speed, inbuilt security and more...

16. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Right click on your desktop. Click on personalize. Click on Start. Enable use start full screen.

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, that´s the way to enable it. However, I have found a problem: sometimes after a reboot some icons disappear from the anchored icons screen. The tiles are show as a blue square, with the name but without the icon at the center.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.