Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by WilliamP, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Windows XP , TDS3, PG , NOD32, AP and others. So here is my question . How is everything going to work if SP2 is loaded. I have Abtrusion Protector and it has problems with( DCSMUTEX )because it recreates an EXE. after a scan. Of course that is part of TDS3 . Now Microsoft is adding Execution protection to XP. I sure hope that these things get checked out before hand.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Since this is the NOD32 forum: no problems to be expected as far as I know ;)

This does not belong over on this forum - and you were right to address this on the TDS forum.

It's hard to check things out before the MSoft release, don't you agree? ;). I for one im convinced all will be addressed as soon as there is something to check - as isn't the case at this very moment.

regards.

paul

3. WilliamP

My understanding is the Microsoft has provided code for developers to check against.

4. Paul Wilders

Would you mind pointing to the source if this info?

regards.

paul

5. WilliamP

www.updatexp.com. I also went to the www.microsoft.com/technet/ and looked up SP2

6. sig

sig Registered Member

Some info from an article available here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/04/HNwindowsxpsp2_1.html

Windows XP SP2 could break existing applications

When Microsoft releases Service Pack 2 for Windows XP later this year, some software developers may find their applications no longer work on updated Windows machines.

Microsoft has made something of a trade-off with the update, focusing on security improvements at the expense of backward compatibility. The Redmond, Washington-based vendor is calling on all software developers to test their code against the beta version of Service Pack 2, or face the possibility that the update will break their handiwork.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is more than the usual roll-up of bug fixes and updates. It is also being used to make significant changes to the software that are designed to improve security. These changes can render applications inoperable, Microsoft warns.

"It may surprise some of the developers that we are changing some defaults, and that may affect the way some of the older applications run," said Tony Goodhew, a product manager in Microsoft's developer group. "Developers should absolutely be checking their applications against Windows XP SP2."

To help developers, Microsoft has created an online training course that details the implications of installing SP2 on Windows XP machines. The course covers the impact on existing applications and includes code samples. Microsoft has never before offered such a course with a service pack release, according to Goodhew. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/XPSP2/default.aspx)

Large vendors of software are getting help from Microsoft to make sure their applications are compatible with SP2, Goodhew said. Smaller vendors and others, such as enterprise software developers, need to do their own testing. "It is really up to developers to do the due diligence," he said...

The rest of the article is at the link posted above.

7. Paul Wilders

Thanks gents ;)

regards.

paul

8. Paul Wilders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.