Windows XP(SP2) > Suse Linux 9.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gerardwil, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

I am intended to install Suse Linux 9.1 on my machine. It will be a 2nd OS. It will be installed on a different HD as my MS OS. Anyone has done this on this forum? And are there special precautions I have to make, things to look after before installing? etc. etc.
    MTIA,

Gerard

2. chew

chew Registered Member

Gerardwil

Good question. I intend to install SuSE 9.1 Pro in the near future too.

I will let you try it out first.

:D ;)

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I have dual-booted SUSE and XP in the past, but on a second partition on the same drive. One thing to watch out for is that SUSE will install its own bootloader (to select which OS to boot). If you have any apps that require the use of the Master Boot Record (like GoBack, BootIt NG, or True Image), you may run into problems.

Nick

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I'll let you know when everything went well :D

Thanks NickS I am using True Image, will watch then.

Gerard

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Should only be an issue if you use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager or Acronis Secure Zone:

"When Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated it overwrites the Master Boot Record (MBR) with its own boot code. If you have any third party boot managers installed, then you will have to reactivate them after activating the Startup Recovery Manager. For Linux loaders (e.g. LiLo and GRUB) you might consider installing them to a Linux root (or boot) partition boot record instead of MBR before activating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager."

This link should help: Howto Install Windows XP and SuSE Linux on the same PC.

Nick

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.