Windows XP SP 2 does not recognize Look n Stop.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cdysthe, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Hi,

I installed Windows XP SP 2 RC1 today. The first thing that met we when I rebooted after the install was a huge security window which told me I that Windows firewall was enabled since no other firewall was detected on the system. It also told me it would continue to bug me if I disabled the built in firewall or didn't install a firewall recognized by Windows. Do I have to add that LnS was running like a charm in the background? :)

The same was the case with AntiVirus. I was told that I didn't have anti virus installed and asked if I wanted to be taken to where I could purchase some. I do have Solo AntiVirus installed. Of course you will be taken to Symantec and a couple of the other biggies in this area unless you disable this stuff.

When it comes to firewalls I'm afraid the same thing is the case: You need to have one of the best known firewalls installed, ones that have an agreement with M$ or XP will keep warning you and enable it's own firewall.

After some poking around I found how to disable this stuff, but I was warned all along the way how I was putting myself in danger.

If a great product like Look n Stop shall stand a chance after people do the SP2 thing XP needs to be able to detect Look n Stop (and a broader base of firewalls) or a lot of people will be pushed towards the built in firewall or some major brand osince it's simply too much hassle using anything else.

I uninstalled SP 2 again.

It looks like the major push in SP 2 is shouting: "WE ARE MICROSOFT AND VERY CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR SECURITY (so we will put some new fancy shield shaped icons in your systray, start some new auto update services and push selected products on you wheter you want it or not)."

Oh well, there may be good security improvements in SP 2 under the hood, but again M$ is doing what they are best at: Marketing.

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.
    I do detest the way M$crosoft force things upon people, directing users to the 'big names' is yet another 'jobs for the boys' mutual back scratching excercise. :mad:
    No doubt a 'patch' will be released shortly to correct this.

3. aptisman

aptisman Registered Member

Yes, thanks for that.

Could you give a few pointers on where we go to disable that stuff in SP2?

This would help those of us who progress to SP2 in due course.

4. cdysthe

Even if this is a release candiate they may change the way this works and is disabled, so unless a lot of people here are going to install the RC's I do not think it's wise to explain procedures for disabling stuff. It may confuse people who installs the final SP2.

You can always try to service pack yourself. It can be cleanly uninstalled.

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I'm sorry to say this but I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 built 2058 RC1

I haven't enounterd any trouble with any software and am also running Windows Longhorn beta 4053 and all my apps are working fine.

Attached Files:

6. cdysthe

Just to make things clear: I did not have any major problmes running RC2 (even though a couple of apps didn't work), and my posting was not disussing the quality of the service pack. My problem with it is conceptual: The way they are taking care of security by making it hard for people to make their own choices and push them towards built in functionaliy or selected third party software. I just do not like that. I mean, we do want people to be able to choose superior products, don't we? With SP2's Security Center enabled that is not the case when it comes to firewalls and and antivirus since it's hard to choose anything else than what they want you to choose.

A related issue is what some router vendors have been doing. They release firmware that has built in functionality to work with one special firewall and/or anti virus software. I do not like that either. Linksys has done it, so has D-Link.

If this crap doesn't stop I'm going back to Linux! :cool:

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

8. JoeSchmoo

JoeSchmoo Guest

We run symantec antivirus corp edition and sp2 does not recognize the antivirus....so it is not all for pushing the bigboys products.

9. Aknod

Aknod Guest

Probably disabling of the 'Security Center service' in mmc could help to get rid of microsoft's annoying vulnerable assistance.

10. Aknod

Aknod Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.