windows XP reinstallation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emile curate, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emile curate

emile curate Registered Member

hi,
    I'd like to know if it is possible to reinstall windows XP home while keeping all my programs and files (I have an external hard drive 160giga) ?
    This is because I have a problem with internet (very often I get the message:
    'Impossible to display the window'),I have already scanned the system for viruses,spywares,I have a firewall,I have reinstalled IE6 and even tried mozilla firefox, without any succes!
    Could anyone give me an answer for windows reinstallation and an idea about my internet problem?
    I thank you a lot, emile curate

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried placing your Windows CD in the drive, click start > run, type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow"

SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Hope this helps…

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

these arent solutions, because i dont know for sure if they'll work. but, maybe someone else can say if it's worth your trying out, or not.

there's the WinSock XP Fix - WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

and i'm going to do an XP reinstall too so i'd like to know the answer to your question too. have you thought about making a new partition and storing your programs there?

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

As long as you have a recovery disk then I believe there are two options. WHen you do a system recover I believe it should ask you if you want to do a destructive or non destructive recover. A non destructive recovery leaves certain features behind but you will have to check on your own pc.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.