Windows XP Pro Hosts File

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Jusletgo, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jusletgo

Jusletgo Registered Member

I have a totally tricked out, squeeky clean puter, running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1. Have been running Spybot and Ad-aware, as well as Norton System Works 2003 One Button Checkup religiously.

Just installed SpywareBlaster 2.5.3 for the first time. It seems to work perfectly except for one feature:

Tools => Hosts Safe => Create New Backup

Upon executing this feature, I get a popup msg reading:
    "Run-time error 9: Subscript out of range"

Upon clicking OK, the SpywareBlaster program crashes. :'(

Unlike earlier Windows versions the hosts file for Windows XP Pro is located at:

Windows => system32 => drivers => etc => lmhosts

This file is no longer named "hosts" but "lmhosts"

When I checked the etc folder I found a newly created file named "HOSTS" with nothing in it.

Is this a SpywareBlaster bug, or am I missing something.

Thanks.

Jusletgo

PS: I have always protected this "lmhosts" file with a "Copy of" in the same directory.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I believe you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak. ;)

I can't offer any sort of workaround for now, but I'll have this fixed in the next version of SpywareBlaster. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

This isn't true, but the presence of one or the other file may depend on your own particular network setup.

4. Jusletgo

Jusletgo Registered Member

To Nameless --

I appreciate your heads-up on this. It was not my intention to mislead anyone on the presence or absence of a "hosts" file.

Did some research at the Windows XP Help and Support Center. I have excerpted a couple of quotes from there that may clarify things.

In the TCP/IP Overview section, I found this:

"Name resolution for network and dial-up connections.

"In addition to requiring an IP address, network and dial-up connections on a TCP/IP network may require a mechanism to map computer names to IP addresses. Four name resolution options are available: DNS, WINS, broadcast name resolution, and the Hosts and Lmhosts files.

"In small networks where IP addresses do not change, network and dial-up connections can use a Hosts or Lmhosts file for name resolution. By using these files on the local drive, you do not need to transmit name resolution requests to a WINS or DNS server and wait for the response.

Then later I found this in the "To configure TCP/IP to use a WINS Server":

"To enable the use of the Lmhosts file to resolve remote NetBIOS names, select the Enable LMHOSTS lookup check box. This option is enabled by default. "

While I make no claim to understand much of this, save how to redirect a pointer in the hosts/lmhosts file to a new IP addy, I think now that an XP OS may have either a "hosts" or "lmhosts" file, depending upon the network connection configurations you have.

I have a DSL connection through SBC Pacific Bell. The "lmhosts" file must have been automatically created as a result of that installation.

Hope this helps.

To Javacool --

Thanks for your response. Hope this little dialogue has helped to sort out the prob.

Many thanks. :)

Jusletgo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.