Windows XP Pro EFS (Encrypted File System), is it now secure?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Escalader, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: Choosing Encryption Packages

Thanks, both of you.

I'm going to try AxCrypt 1st as suggested on throwaway files until I get used to the technology.

FYI, PC World ranked 3 programs:
    1. DESlock+3.2.4 which has free personal use version, uses 3DES, AES or Blowfish
    2. Namo FileLock 3.10 but it has one of those proprietry algorithim
    3. T3 Basic Security for laptops with 128 bit CAST algorithim

They recommended DESlock for home use.

Has anybody got experience with any or all of those?

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

DESlock+3.2.4 is the only one out of the three that I would consider.
    It is more like PGP because it includes email encryption.
    It can encrypt files like AxCrypt and OTFE (On the Fly Encrypted) volumes like TrueCrypt.
    The free personal license of DESlock+3.2.4 includes 4 keys.
    It is closed source.
    I don't really like the way the USB Token is set up.
    It appears to be primarily for marketing purposes to sell more keys.
    Nothing wrong with that, but that is just my initial opinion.

You can create a similar setup with an ordinary USB Flash Drive (UFD) and store keyfiles on that. Both AxCrypt and TrueCrypt can work that way as well.

There is no reason why you can't try out several encryption programs and see which one works the best for you.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Right, I just hit that list of 3 products via my PC World digital subscription and thought I would share their list with the wilders members.

I am using roboform2go on the USB Flash stick, the idea must be similar but I don't yet know what the encrypted software stores on the USB.

The keys?
    The files encrpted?
    The software?

All of above?

When I'm laid to rest like the celtic warriors of old with their swords I'll be found with my encryption usb and my robofor2go! sandisk stocks look like a good deal with all this separation of security psw ect on the them instread of the c drive! Just a hint...

Escalader

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Roboform2go on the USB Flash stick will contain the software and the encrypted passcards, safenotes, contacts, bookmarks, identities, and searchcards.
    There is enough room on the USB Flash Drive to put other things like some documents that need to be portable, or keyfiles should you decide to use them. It can also store the keys that would be used with PGP or DESlock+.

Roboform2go is used for a different purpose than AxCrypt, TrueCrypt, PGP, or DESlock+.

If you make a new thread with a title on a new topic, you will get more responses because the content will match the title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.