Windows XP NTFS file...help needed!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tweety pie, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweety pie

tweety pie Registered Member

Hi, I'm not sure how to correct this problem.

I ran a chkdsk, the information that printed was:-

''Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (Fix) option to correct these.''

I done this then was given another message:-

''The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)''

So I just closed the screen not knowing what to do next, please,please can someone take me by the hand as to what to do next,

Cheers. :doubt:

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

when you run chkdsk or ask it to do chkdsk /f the hardrive is in use by the system. what the message is telling you that the hardrive will be checked on the next reboot before OS has use of it. an easier way to check your disk for errors is right click your hardrive icon and select properties - under tools select check now to check the disk for errors. a dialog should pop up and ask if you want to schedule a disk check on the next reboot slect yes and reboot, that's it. Hope this was helpful. :rolleyes:

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread moved from the Javacool Filechecker Forum to a more appropriate Forum.

4. hadi

hadi Guest

incase you have dual boot XP OR parallel boot XP. then you can do CHKDSK the first partition/HD while working on the second partition/HD and viceversa.the same goes for defrag. (this is the best way to CHKDSK/defrag)

5. tweety pie

tweety pie Registered Member

To Ravin & Hadi Thank you for your help.

Ravin, followed your advice, no errors came back but when pc rebooted I got the 'Windows has recovered from an error' viewed the crash details, wants me to update to Service Pack 2, had probs with this in the past and uninstalled and vowed not to install again.
    Hadi, I will later do a defrag.

Appreciate both your help!!!

Bubba thanks for redirecting my post, I'm new here so i'm in learner mode more ways than one!!!! Cheers!!! :)

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are more than Welcome
    Please accept my applogizes for not recognizing that fact....and Welcome to Wilders :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.