Windows XP Home "sendto"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by puff-m-d, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I sometime recently lost on my "send to" options (found in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\SendTo folder) the option to send to desktop as a shortcut (when you right click a file). I have been able to create a send to desktop that copies the file and sends the file to the desktop, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to send it as a shortcut.

I am really hoping someone out there can help me as now as a workaround, I have to go to the file, right click "create shortcut", right click this new shortcut and "send to 'desktop' ", and lastly delete the original shortcut. I can do it this way or create a shortcut and cut and paste..... But the right click "send to 'desktop(as shortcut)' " was so much easier.

Thanks in advance for the help.....

Regards,
    Kent

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

You could always right click on your desktop, choose new-shortcut- then browse to 'desktop' and add this to your 'send to' menu in the directory you listed, that works as I tested it out. Not an ideal solution but it works. :)

3. puff-m-d

That is what I have done...... It copies the entire file to the desktop, not a shortcut to the dektop :mad: ......... Got to go to work...... Will try to figure this one out again tonite o_O ........

Regards,
    Kent

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Sorry I didnt read your post properly :oops:
    I'm afraid I cant help you, I'll ask around though :)

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Kent,

***Ignore My Post Here....This Is Wrong scroll on down a bit.

Here's what you have to do.....it's different than using the Windows/SendTo file in 9x:

(You probably know a lot of this first part - but thought I better go through it all for others who might have the same problem)

You have to go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View/
    and make sure you have selected "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

The go to c:\Documents and Settings\your user name here

You will now see a shaded folder (that WAS hidden) called ---- Send To! Double click on the Send To folder.

Right click anywhere on the folder background.

Go to "New"

Select "Shortcut" - the shortcut wizard comes up.

Select Browse.....at the very top you should see "Desktop"

Select and finish the wizard (naming your shortcut "to desktop" or whatever) and once you're finished with the wizard., you should now see the desktop icon and have the ability to send shortcuts to your desktop.

This happened to me probably three months ago and it took me hours to figure out the real Send To folder that counts is hidden in the Documents and Settings folder rather than the traditional Windows/SendTo. That folder is still in XP home for what reason I have no idea.

(As I said, I know you knew that about the hidden "send to" folder as you mentioned it in your post. I just thought going through the whole shebang might help someone else)

Good luck and let me know if that works for you!

John
    Luv2BSecure

6. controler

controler Guest

LBS

actualy I think your method also sends a copy of the file to the desktop and not a shortcut.

7. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Controler,

You are absolutely right! I was thinking, "What did I DOo_O" I remember finding that hidden "send to" and I was thinking that's what fixed it. You're right - it's not.

It was a REGISTRY thing!

The "create shortcut to desktop" in Send To is actually a SYSTEM file. The extension is actually .DESKLINK.

Kent, Try this: do a search, making sure the search is set in advanced to search for system files and search for *.DESKLINK .... try copying one of the others to your folder. This file must be in that "send to" folder in the path you mentioned in your first post. There could be more than one on your system. The one that should work should be in your "default" folder in Documents and Settings.

That will work if the Registry entry is still intact.

If not, you'll have to add a registry file. I found where to get it:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm It's quite a ways down in the page, but you'll find it.

It will tell you to start over by creating an empty text file naming it with the .DESKLINK ext. You can download from this site the registry entry that will recognize it.

I remember all of this now. I got to thinking and then the light bulb!

Sorry for throwing you off and THANK YOU controler for pointing out it was sendning the whole file rather than a shortcut! Good catch.

John
    Luv2BSecure

8. puff-m-d

John,

Thanks a lot ;) !!!!!!! With the link to Kellys and your explanation, I got it fixed :D ..... I had just one other obstacle..... After I made and put the empty text file in my "sendto" folder and ran the regidtry fix, it still would not work o_O . I opened the .reg file with notepad and checked all the keys and values against my registry. They were all correct. After I examined things a little closer, there was a reference in one of the keys to a sendmail.dll in C:\windows\system. I did not have this driver there. I did a search and it was in the system32 folder, not the system folder. I changed the reference in the registry, and voilla :D , it is working again.....

You deserve a karma cookie for the help and thanks again :) .....

Regards,
    Kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.