Windows XP Home Repair Install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I know someone who needs to do a Repair Install of Windows XP Home. His Windows Restore CD has been damaged beyond use. Is it possible to do a Repair Install using someone else's Windows XP CD? Do the license keys have to match up to do the Repair Install? I have a Windows XP Pro OEM CD. Would that work?

Thank you.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Have you tried last known good... from safe mode to avoid the hassle of repairing?

I think yes, if it's XP Home

I don't think so - this would only matter for activation

Best avoided, I think.

philby

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

He cannot get to Safe Mode. He gets a BSOD. He said that he did a web search (on another PC) for the BSOD message and that it said to do a Windows Repair Install to fix the problem.

4. philby

philby Registered Member

OK.

Maybe this would work:

• On another box with XP or Vista on board, download Macrium Reflect Free from here
    • Create a Linux Rescue Disk
    • Boot the problem machine using the disk (having enabled CD boot in the bios)
    • You should be now see the Macrium menu in the rescue environment
    • See if Macrium recognises the C drive using the explore option
    • Connect an external drive and pull off any important data
    • Run fix common startup problems from the Macrium menu
    • If this doesn't work, you could also tinker with the cmd line function and try to repair/rebuild the boot files (I don't know the correct commands and switches, but I'm sure they exist)
    • Finally, reboot and you might be able to get into the machine to get at last known good.... failing that, I think there's a way of doing an XP repair or at least a re-install using the i386 folder.
    Please note - I'm not too savvy on this, so the above might be way off. Others will probably be able to give you a very different and more effective steer on this.

Hope this helps

philby

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Unfortunately, you can't use an XP Professional install disk to perform a repair install of an XP Home version (but philby's suggestion is certainly worth trying)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.