Windows xp error

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Helia, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Hello
    I did a restore on my hp pavillion pc 7935 model and when I installed blackice defender 3.5 latest ver when it was done it said this error
    "1 kernal-at 0x771c7419 referenced memory at 0x00163460 the memory could not be read"
    Anyone have anyidea what this error is My firewall is working and no problems with the computer either just want to know what this is

Thank you

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi Helia, and welcome to Wilders. We're not ignoring you, I just think no one has the answer to your problem yet.
    How did you determine that your firewall is still functioning properly?
    If I understand correctly, you only saw this error message once, and that was at the end of the install of BI? Do you know if the error message was part of the installer routine, or a generic Windows error message.
    If there is any doubt about how well your firewall is working, I would recommend uninstalling BI, cleaning the registry with jv16 power tools, rebooting and then reinstalling.
    Things like that make me a little nervous. Especially when it comes to security software.

3. Helia

Helia Registered Member

I assume my firewall is working properly its blocking intruders.

I believe the error is windows related I only seen it after the firewall install I have installed other software after this and I havent seen the error ever since.just wanted to know why or what it is LOL
    What is this jv16 power tools?
    thanks for your reply :)

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Helia,

To be sure your firewall is really working and blocking what it should be, you should try running a few scans on it. There is a good set of scanners at the PC Flank site. The tests on the upper left under "Test Your System" is what you want. The Quick test checks a wide range of ports, and the Stealth test will verify whether you are running stealth or not.

http://www.pcflank.com/

There are many other scanning sites, just check out the "port scanning" section on our Free Service page:

http://www.wilders.org/free_services.htm

As for jv16 Power Tools, it is basically a tool for scanning, cleaning and repairing various things on your Windows system. It has a website and forum at the link below. One of its key features is its registry cleaning capability.

Main site link
    http://www.jv16.org/

Main page regarding jv16 PowerTools
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml

Hope this helps,
    LowWaterMark

5. Helia

Helia Registered Member

I went to the port scan plank tryed it it says session expired no clue what that means

6. root

root Registered Member

Hi. Heres an easier site to use.
    http://www.mycgiserver.com/~kalish/
    Click on the word security in "Click here to start the Security servlet"
    When its done, at the bottom of the page it should say all ports are stealth.
    Thanks LWM, I was in a hurry before.

7. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Thanks Root
    I did it and it says
    Test complete.
    Number of connections established = 0.

Number of refused connections = 1.

Number of stealthed ports = 48.
    Hope what I understandis rite means no ports open lol rite
    :oops:
    Now does anyone know about what the error means
    thanks guys

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Does this happen all the time? Or did it only happen once?

It sounds to me like BlackICE's vxd had a slight problem reading part of its allocated memory OR the vxd tried to read an invalid address in memory. If this only happened once or twice, I wouldn't worry about it. (It could have been caused by a conflict with other software, such as an anti-virus program.)

Plus the results from those tests seem to indicate your firewall is working. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

Here are my test results from that scan. I don't know anything about BI, but I would write their support and ask them, but first I would do as suggested, uninstall it clean the registry, then reinstall it.

I wouldn't run a firewall that caused an error for any reason, but I would give the firewall more chances to install correctly. Make sure if you reinstall BI, that you have other software such as an AVP disabled, so there would be no conflicts.

Test complete.
    Number of connections established = 0.

Number of refused connections = 0.

Number of stealthed ports = 49.

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The result "Number of refused connections = 1" is likely the result of the fact that BI does not stealth port 113 Auth/Ident by default. In which case, that would be a normal result for a default install of BI.

Helia can you confirm if it was in fact the scan of port 113 that resulted in a closed result instead of stealth?

If you wish to stealth port 113 Auth/Ident, this can be done by editing the firewall.ini file. You could just comment out the line where it says Accept 113, change Accept to Reject or just delete the line.

[Edit] If you want to play it safe, copy your existing firewall.ini file to a safe place before editing it ;).

Regards,
    CrazyM

11. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Nope not 113 Attempting connection with your port 113.
    Cannot open TCP socket on port 111.
    java.net.SocketException: Address already in use No TCP port is detected (stealth).
    but this one is
    Attempting connection with your port 53.
    TCP connection is refused.
    Not sure what port that is

This only happend once Javacool the error that is
    thanks guys

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Port 53 is DNS (Domain Name Server). Most will usually see UDP traffic on this port as part of normal internet traffic. Most firewalls should stealth this port. That particular test was done with a TCP connection attempt to port 53 . Is there anything in your BlackIce configuration that would allow this through? The connection refused indicates closed instead of stealth.

You might want to try a couple of the other test sites just to see if the results are consistent.

Regards
    CrazyM

13. Helia

Helia Registered Member

I tryed the plank test one wont work

what can the port 53 do? can it allow intruders in if not stealth

14. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Helia

Based on what you posted above, your port 53 would appear closed, which means you are still secure, just not stealth.

Try the following tets to see if your results are consistent:

Shields Up

Sygate Scan

DSLReports Scan

Regards,
    CrazyM

15. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Ok it says 53 is open now do I need it for any program I use I have tried other port scaners
    thanks

16. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Well it is not something that would normally be open on most home systems. Were the results consistent at the different test sites?

In order for the port/service to show open, an application/service would need to be running and actively listening on that port/service.

Could you provide a little more detail about your set up - OS, stand alone system, router/gateway, software firewall, behind proxy, etc. Are you running anything that is listening on port/service 53?

To help determine what, if anything, may be listening on port/service 53, try running a netstat -an at the command prompt, check task manager for running processes. Also a port mapper would help identify what services are currently listening and what process/application is associated with it.

Port Mappers:
    Port Explorer
    Vision
    Active Ports

Check your system to determine if something is in fact listening on port/service 53, what it is, and we can go from there.

Regards,
    CrazyM

17. root

root Registered Member

18. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Ok I have windows xp home version hp pavillion model 7935 computer and the current blackice defender 3.5 version I dont know how to do that comand prompt thing..
    My isp is aol dail up no proxy

19. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Helia

Did you try either of the free port mappers (Vision, Active Ports) to determine what may be actively listening on your system?

Regards,
    CrazyM

20. Helia

Helia Registered Member

If its not a problem that port 53 then I will just leave it I got that vision thing It said nothing at all about opne ports etc etc
    thanks guys

21. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Helia

I know it can get a little overwhelming at times. As long as you are comfortable that everything is as it should be. If not, don't be afraid to ask if you need clarification or help with anything :)

Regards,
    CrazyM

22. controler

controler Guest

Black Ice is a nice Firewall and I really liked their tech support.
    If you are wondering why 113 is not stealthed you need to look at their forum site. Also as mentioned before. If you have an Intel DSL modem, Intel still install a REG key inj the registry that the NEW version won't accept.
    For most of your answers, please check out their forum.
    Also? try out Visual Ice for reading your BlackIce logs.

I am sure you will like BlackIce after using it for a while.

23. Helia

Helia Registered Member

Thanks I will do that :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.