Windows XP dies final death as Embedded POSReady 2009 reaches end of life

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Apr 10, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

Windows XP dies final death as Embedded POSReady 2009 reaches end of life
    April 9, 2019
    https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...s-embedded-posready-2009-reaches-end-of-life/

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Don't be so sure !! ;)
    Those who have used XP to date will certainly continue to do the same tomorrow.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

+1 You betcha!!!

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Yep still using xp with a dual boot win7

5. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes we will :)

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I'm not going to stop anytime soon. My use of it is minimal but regular. I'm using far older software as well. I have some eeprom burning projects lined up and my eprom burner uses MSDOS or Windows NT4.

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I won't stop either. My XP has old software and parallel port used for bit-banging some devices. Also dual boot with very old Mint. Minimal internet use to safe places such as this.

8. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I dual boot XP to run legacy genealogical software that the writers haven’t or won’t update that would run on a newer version of Windows. I am not going to start all over again to reconstruct family history on other software that would run on Win 10 that has taken me 15 years on XP. I have no choice other than continue with XP, so it is irrelevant to me that it’s life has ended.
    I don’t access the internet using XP so it’s fine.

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't use XP since many years, but I wonder why people have to continually say and hope " XP finally it's over, Seven finally closes ..... ". If someone - many for Seven - is happy with XP or Seven and has not security problem why force to migrate to new Windows version, and to be happy if the older end ?

10. loungehake

loungehake Registered Member

In August 2018, Microsoft silently ceased to support Windows XP Embedded POSReady 2009 for pre-SSE2 processors, except for the updates for Internet Explorer. Different support teams enforced their own standards. Standards at Microsoft? Not when expediency rules it seems.

I have not observed any intrusion or malware effects while running Windows XP POSReady on my pre-SSE2 AMD Athlon XP 3000+ powered system. Neither have MBAE 1.12.1.109, OSArmor 1.4.3, Comodo Memory Firewall 2.0.4.20 or Avast 10.4.2233 alerted me to anything untoward, nor scans by SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Antimalware 2.2.1.1043. Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 HIPS is silent even though its security is set to Maximum. Everything that can is run under DropMyRights. I admire young ladies in their sexy underwear (and sometimes without) at play with their gentlemen friends in the safe surroundings of Sandboxie 3.76.

The only trouble with Windows XP is that web browser standards are leaving me behind but Mozilla Firefox ESR 45.9 (with NoScript 5.1.8.6, HttpsEverywhere and DecentralEyes) still gives me access to everything I want to to see. I am debating whether to continue with Windows 10 or go with Linux. Microsoft's loose adherence to its standards for Windows XP Embedded POSReady 2009 is a gentle hint to use Linux, I think.

Footnote: I DO NOT use XP for any purposes where privacy and confidentiality are vital, such as online banking. Since 2013 I have entrusted those functions to Windows 7.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  11. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Try using New Moon 27.9.6. for XP developed by Roytam1.
    There is the SSE version and also no-SSE:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=134

Development with new versions is weekly.:thumb:

12. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

I really like WMP on XP so I have a couple of XP systems for that sole purpose.i.e. music.

So why wouldn`t I run XP ?

Regards Eck:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.