Windows XP corrupted registry

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TimaN, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

Hi to all! My XP Pro is useless due to corrupted registry which was (I suspect) caused by an uninstallation software that I use that creates snapshots of registry before and after installation. I can boot into windows, desktop wallpaper appears and nothing else for about 5 minutes, then everything else loads. The registry corruption affected services that are essential for proper xp operation, such as DHCP client (which prevents me from accessing internet), windows firewall service is also stopped and cannot be started, universal plug & play and a few others. I did a "Repair" of Windows with my XP CD, but that did not seem to cure the problem. o_O
    Does anybody know a way to bring my services to life without reinstalling XP?

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Obvious way is to restore backup you earlier made with the uninstall utility,or i'm missing something ?

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

4. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

That happenned to me too, but it seemed to get fixed when I installed the free version of Rising. Dunno why though...

5. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

BlackViper's registry fix did not help (although I really hoped it would :doubt: ). For example: the DHCP service is in "Pending Start" state and stays that way. I wonder if there is a way to re-register troubled servies or something in that nature...

6. Phant0m

Then the problem goes even deeper, the registry file only restores the start states.

So the DHCP server is pending start, and tries for a large period, this sounds like an DependOnService problem. You see Nortons (for an example) would modify the DHCP service DependOnService value data to include SYMTDI entry.

If you were to have or had Nortons, you should use their clean-up tool, but you might want to take a gander at http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/pc/xp_dhcp_client_wont_start.html for educational purposes...

Regards,
    Phant0m``

7. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I don't think there is an easy fix to my situation, so I think I will have to reinstall XP over my current installation to keep my files and software. If it was only one service I had trouble with I could figure something out, but I have about 6 services that are non-operational and cannot be turned on. That will take some time to pinpoint the problem. Since "Repair" XP installation function did not help, hopefully reinstalling XP will fix all these issues.

8. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

And since you're gonna nuke the disk and reinstall fresh...dont forget to backup your installation once everything is up and running, may i suggest DriveimageXML+BartPE? :D

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Don't know if the below can help but it did sort a prob I was having with starting a Vista service due to permissions.
    Reset Registry Article

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Before you do this backup at least your data.

11. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I've tried registry reset as was suggested, but still nothing was resolved. Here are some screenshots of what I'm getting when trying to start these services:

Attached Files:

12. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Have you tried Safe Mode Adm.? I have had to run Repair 2-3 times also.

13. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

If a repair install doesnt work,then you can try a parallel install, but also a bit messy.

Realistically your best bet is, as always the most difficult-a fresh install,-using nLite and including sp3.

See here

14. Phant0m

Would be useful to get information about the services like when doing in CMD;

CMD /K SC QC DHCP
    CMD /K SC QC WSAStartup
    CMD /K SC QC IPSec

15. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I finally solved all problems I was having with services not starting. It was all related to TCP/IP protocol driver. In device manager after revealing hidden devices, under non-plug and play drivers, tcp/ip protocol driver was stopped and could not be started. So under my Local Area Connection properties I uninstalled and reinstalled TCP/IP controller driver and now everything is fine :D Thanks to all who tried to help! :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  16. Phant0m

You running 64-bit version?

17. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

No, I'm running 32-bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.