Windows x64 NOD "locks" on startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by MOR512, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOR512

MOR512 Registered Member

Hi, running x64, and as such there is a lack of virus solutions unfortunately. I tried Avast! but it has a well known problem of locking up x64 on shutdown.

I have the exact opposite with NOD, which otherwise I am very impressed with and plan to buy. But during 75% of startups, when the spashscreen appears, it locks up my machine. The spashsceen stays on before the sig version numbers etc appear, and all I can do is move my mouse, I can CTRL-ALT-DEL but I cannot open task manager. The HDD also stops. I uninstalled NOD and the system worked perfectly again.

I have reinstalled it and I plan to modify the settings over and over again to hopefully pinpoint the problem, but this will take time as its a complicated bit of kit. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of NOD locking up during the spashscreen loading period which would help me sort the problem out.

Thanks. I downloaded it from the UK Site today, and its the correct 64-bit version :)

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi MOR512

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Not something I have experienced with NOD and XP x64. You mention modifying settings, does it occur with default settings?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Just a shot in the dark ...What happens when you disable the splashscreen ?

4. MOR512

MOR512 Registered Member

Ive rebooted my machine about 50 times. It appears to be the Real Time Scanner, AMON. With that enabled it locks up half the time.

At first I had the spash off, makes no difference im afraid.

5. Dryopithecus

Dryopithecus Registered Member

It seems I met this problem before. But I'm not very sure.....

Please try to disable your "Local Area Connection" temporarily (just temporarily), and see if the problem "solved".

6. MOR512

MOR512 Registered Member

Thanks but no luck :( Took me 8 times to get into windows :)

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

8. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Yup, i had a few times the same effect. It has to do with updating NOD. Are you connected to Internet when this lockup happens? Because during this time NOD tries to update itself.

9. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

And one more hint: If you have any network cards installed (but not connected) disable them. Otherwise the DHCP Client tries to get Adresses for a non-existing connection (to make the update...) and this takes a ridiculous amount of time (all freezes during this time)

10. MOR512

MOR512 Registered Member

I think the updating is the problem, because it doesn't totally crash the system. But ive disabled automatic updates in NOD, and in the AMON I disabled "Enable Instant Virus Signature Database Update" Still no luck im afraid. Ive also tried disabling all the network cards etc.

Im on a cable modem, I tried telling it I had no connection but still no luck. Thanks tho guys :D It works fine aslong as I start AMON after boot.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.