"windows will not start..."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mugatea, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mugatea

mugatea Registered Member

Hi I'm desperately trying to copy my nikimi 40 gig hard disk to my larger samsung 250 gig hard disk. I used Acronis clone disk and all went really well. It copied everything and then told me to press any key to shut down computer. I did that and took out old drive but when i switch it on windows wont start and comes up with this error...

"windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and diosk hardwar. Please check the windows document about hardware reference manuals for addiotnal information."

please help me

jamie

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Probably the main reason why you have this message is due to the difference in hard drive size and possibly due to a different manufacturer.

As far as I know the only way around this, is to retrieve your XP image CD and make a repair install. To do this, bung the CD in and reboot your computer.

Accept the F8 ULA message and then wait for the CD to clunk around to the point where it asks if you want to install windows or repair/console mode choose INSTALL, this will take you to a second set of options, where it will tell you the installation(s) it has found and ask if you want to repair or install over the top, choose REPAIR, the installer will then delete all your XP system (driver) files and then redetect your current hardware and re-install all the drivers.

I'm surprised that you were able to clone - without getting a message about different drive sizes. I assume TI has made two partitions one with your XP and another which is empty and probably not formatted.

Colin

PS. This is not an Acronis fault, this is due to the HAL and anti copying features courtesy of Microsoft.

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You didn't say what version and build of TI you are using, but if you are not using the latest, it would be best to at least download the trial version of the latest. It may overcome the differences in the sizes of the drives. Just yesterday I cloned a 17 gig to a 30 gig - not as vast a difference as yours. I used ver 9 build 2302.

4. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

You mentioned you removed the old drive but did you jumper the new drive as master and place it in the same slot as the original drive? Just checking the obvious here.

5. mugatea

mugatea Registered Member

yeah, it was the latest version and yes the jumpers were changed etc. It was also saying something or other about "arc firmware boot". Anywayz, I dont know why it didnt work and in the end I reinstalled windows and all my apps.

What a drag!

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.