Windows Vista updates?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Just curious i read that future Windows Operating systems will have better Mutiprocessor support.

So does this mean atm Windows Vista doesn't? will there be an update like sp1 or sp2 and have better multiprocessor support?

Also like Windows XP SP2 was only supported in Professional. Will that happen the same with Vista and only Ultimate will be supported?

BTW does Ultimate get more updates?

I have a direct x 9 graphic card. As Vista is Direct x 10 well can it still use the advances of direct x 10 or not really?

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Chaos,

I think the support issue with XP was/is Home and Pro, not SP2. Both Home and Pro were updated with SP2.

Can't answer yet your other questions - using a new system with Ultimate w/DX10, so don't know how DX9 performs or whether and by how much support will differ among the versions.

The issue is not being able to run/not run VIsta, but running Aero and the full graphics of Vista.

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

by direct x 9 support i mean my graphic card is direct x 9.

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I can't answer about multiprocessor support since I don't have MP (I have HT but that is a different animal).

As far as updates for Ultimate, it will probably be mainly Extras. Since the release of Vista the Extras so far has been Bitlocker, Texas Hold'em, Dreamscene (actually a beta) and recently added Dreamscene "wallpapers".

You did not mention which card you have but here goes. I have a Nvidia 6800XT card (DX9) and play COD2 and Quake4 in Vista. In COD2, the opening video sequence is a little jerky and for some reason some objects give off a weird glow (like barrels or crates in a dark house). Otherwise the game plays fine. On Neowin I read a newspost about installing DX9 alongside with DX10 in Vista. The reason stated that it will install some files that DX9 needs. Though I thought it could cause problems I went ahead in installed it hoping it would fix the weirdness in COD2. But it did not affect it in any way I can tell. Maybe some Nvidia update down the road may fix it.

Q4 runs and looks great however. It did before the DX9 install as well.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

As far as I know, Vista has a good dualcore and multiprocessors support.
    The problem is, that most software can not utilitize, it is not optimized for it.
    I plan to buy a dualcore with 64-bit Vista, because Vista is meant to use that.
    In fact, MS did not want to release 32-bit, that is why Vienna will be only 64-bit.
    By the way, just to mention it, Vista Home Basic and up support dualcore processors.
    Only Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate support multiple physical CPUs, not too common.
    Intel & AMD plan to release 4-core CPUs in 3rd quartal 2007, I wonder about their support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.