Windows Vista System Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by puff-m-d, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

This is probably going to be a stupid question but her goes. My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 with all patches through today. My System Restore is not working and the error I get is "Restore point creation disabled by Group Policy" (see attached screen shot). I cannot figure out for the life of me how to enable it. I know with all the great minds :rolleyes: here at Wilders :D , someone will know how to do this. Thanks all in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. puff-m-d

Thanks stapp. I did do a search but for some reason did not find that page. Vista Home premium does not have the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) so obviously I could not use that fix. I did try the registry fix and it worked like a charm. Thanks for finding that page doe me :thumb: .

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Regedit is only way since you don't have local group policy editor. Winhelponline has a file so just click that.

Solution is the right one http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/2cea844e-a923-44d7-be46-930893b3811f

If very worried you can look it up here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...80-8b0a-4906-a4f5-ff24cc2030fb&displaylang=en see line 2145 and 2146

Windowsclub has a FixWin program http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility which can restore what you have disabled, see under system tools. Good to repair infected computers. So is no system restore result of infection?, tweaking gone wrong?

Did not see your post but how system restore became disabled is probably worth a thought ;)

Attached Files:

5. puff-m-d

I merged the .reg file and it worked with no problems.
    Handy little program. Thanks for the link.
    More than likely it was an uninstall gone wrong. I had been checking out a few backup programs and I think one of them disabled it but did not change it back on uninstall. Maybe even a conflict with something on my machine. Fairly certain though that malware was not the cause in any case.
    Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.