Windows Vista/Programs question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a new Dell XPS 410 customized to fit my needs and have an express upgrade to Vista sent to me. My question is this... when I bought my antivirus (NOD32) I could either download the 32-bit version or 64-bit version. Due to the new hardware that this Dell XPS 410 will come with and Vista on it when Vista is released to consumers, I am wondering what version of programs would I need to choose.... either 32-bit version or 64-bit version?

ATTN: Moderators and Members, if my question cannot be answered quite yet, if you could please delete this thread. But if it can be answered, I'd appreciate anyone that could let me know in a reply :)

Thanks!

Gracie

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi gracie123,

It first depends on whether you will use a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU in your new Dell XPS 410.

32-bit CPU --> can only install 32-bit Vista

64-bit CPU --> can install either 32-bit or 64-bit Vista

By looking at the specifications of XPS 410, the CPU in XPS 410 can be Pentium 4, Pentium D and Core 2 Duo. If you choose a 64-bit capable CPU, you can have the choice of using either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. Note that all Pentium D and Core 2 Duo CPUs are 64-bit CPUs while only some Pentium 4 CPUs are 64-bit.

Here is a comparison of the CPUs models from Intel:

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US

Once you have determined what model of CPU to use and what version of Vista to install, you can determine what version of software to install.

32-bit Vista --> can install 32-bit software and 32-bit hardware drivers only

64-bit Vista --> can install either 32-bit or 64-bit software, but can only install 64-bit hardware drivers only

However, not all 32-bit software can run well in 64-bit Vista. So, if you decided to use a 64-bit CPU and run 64-bit Vista, you need to check whether ther software is 64-bit Vista compatabile or designed for 64-bit Vista. Some software like NOD32 are both 32 and 64-bit compatabile so you can use it on either 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. ;)

Please also note that when Vista is available from stores on 30 Jan 2007, BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Vista on two separate DVDs will be available in one package (box). So you have the option to use EITHER 32-bit or 64-bit Vista to install on your new Dell computer. But I am not sure if Dell will offer you both the 32-bit and 64-bit Vista upgrade CD when it is available.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  3. gracie123

Hello Chubb,

Your reply is very informative and helpful :). I will keep all of it in mind... I would be going with the Core 2 Duo CPU. So, I would want to install the 64-bit version of Vista correct?

Thanks again!

Gracie

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes correct, you can install 64-bit Vista with Core 2 Duo, but also bear in mind that since you will be buying the 32-bit Windows XP with your Dell now, you will most likely be only given the 32-bit Vista upgrade when it is available. You need to check with Dell carefully on the available options.

Please also note that full 64-bit compatability applications may take a little longer to release. So be sure to check the version status of all your favorite applications before you install 64-bit Vista.

5. gracie123

Chubb,

Thank you for that information. Since I would have Windows XP Professional on this PC with an Express Upgrade for Vista from Dell coming when Vista is released, could I install the 32-bit version of Vista if I have the Core 2 Duo CPU and then install all 32-bit programs on the computer? Or would that result in conflicts?

Also, I asked a Dell represenative if the Express Upgrade to Vista would be 32-bit or 64-bit in case that info is needed for my above question and the person told me it would be 64-bit.

Gracie :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi gracie123,

Yes, you can install 32-bit Vista with your Core 2 Duo CPU and install 32 bit software without problems.

If Dell offers you the 64-bit Vista upgrade, you can install both 32-bit and 64-bit software in 64-bit Vista, but you need to install 64-bit drivers for your hardware. But bear in mind that some 32-bit software may not work well in 64-bit Vista and so you need to check carefully whether the 32-bit software has been updated and optimized to run on 64-bit Vista.

You may take a look of the upgrade path information from the Windows Supersite:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_express_upgrade.asp

7. gracie123

Hi, thanks for the information Chubb. It's very helpful!! So since I am buying from Dell, would I more than likely be given the 64-bit drivers for the hardware on the computer?

Gracie

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

No. Since your Dell would be pre-installed with Windows XP and Windows XP is a 32-bit OS, you will only get 32-bit hardware drivers pre-installed when the computer is delivered to you. But no worries. When Windows Vista is officially available on 30 Jan 2007, updated 32-bit and 64-bit hardware drivers for Vista will be available for download from the Dell support site. ;)

If you are not that urgent to buy a new computer, it is best to wait a month or two until Vista is pre-installed on new Dell computers. OEM computers pre-installed with Vista may be available earlier than 30 Jan 2007.

9. gracie123

Hi Chubb,

Thank you so much for the information! Just curious, would my Dell PC come with a reinstall of Vista if I would buy my PC at a later date when 30 Jan 2007or would it come with a actual install disk, if you know...?

Thank you so much again,

Gracie

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Gracie,

Although the release date of Vista retail is 30 Jan 07, OEM PC may sell PC pre-loaded with Vista earlier than 30 Jan 07, but you need to check with Dell. There is no information at the moment as to when Dell will sell new PCs pre-loaded with Vista.

New Dell PCs or notebooks sold in Hong Kong come with an original OEM Windows XP CD. This CD is a bootable XP installation CD and you can re-install Windows XP using this CD if you want to. You will also get a Drivers CD containing hardware drivers for display, sound, LAN, RAID, etc. But I am not sure if this CD is available to all other Dell PC sold in other countries. If your new Dell PCs is pre-loaded with Vista, you can ask if the PC also comes with a Vista bootable installation DVD. This DVD is very important since you can re-install Vista at any time you want in case you want to. Please note that this original OEM Windows CD or DVD is NOT available from other OEM brands like HP, Compaq and IBM. You will only get a Recovery CD from brands like HP, Compaq and IBM and this Recovery CD is not too useful, since on recovery, your PC will always be restored to the pre-factory state, which is not too useful and customizable.

11. gracie123

Hi Chubb,

Thanks so much for the information and all your help. I appreciate it a lot.

Gracie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.