Windows Update & now Endless Loop at restart? Help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

On Vista Home Premium, after installing the latest Windows Updates I restarted and got into an endless loop. The screen says stage 3 of 3 at 0% then jumps to 95% and restarts into a loop.

I have tried starting in Safe Mode (all 3 types- safe mode, safe mode w/ networking and safe mode w/ command prompt) but still just get the endless loop.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried last known good configuration option ?

You could try running Chkdsk

Perhaps boot with a linux live cd and uninstall the update.

3. acr1965

Yes but that did not help. I am trying one of the F8 startup repair options now. That got me to a system restore option which I am trying.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Let us know how you get on.

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I would have suggested going into safe mode and deleting windows update backups/history.

But since you can not get into safe mode, use the Vista installation CD and boot through it. Select system restore and restore to an earlier state.

6. acr1965

I went to the start-up repair option and was able to do a system restore. So all is well for now.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Exactly the same thing happened when I tried to install Vista SP2 on a Vista Home laptop this week. What is best practice in cases like this?

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Glad you got it sorted.:)

Do you intend to try the windows update again?

9. acr1965

I think there are two Vista updates that eed to be installed prior to anything else. I will go that route.

10. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Well, it has probably been over a year since I've had any issues with updates, but let me tell you, it gave me major attitude today! I had the Vista laptop down in the basement and I was running a P90X DVD (a workout) on it and MS was doing its thing in the back round. However, after every reboot: "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes". Upon investigation this afternoon, I discovered it was Error 80070005 (if I remember correctly). I went "deep" into Vistas' innerds and made some changes I found from searches but to no avail. I finally reverted to an AyRecovery snapshot from before I started any updates and then updated one update at a time. With all the reboots it took several hours, even though they were all already downloaded. Anyway, that worked! Suspecting it was the IE8 update (the irony is I never even use IE but out of curiosity I tried it a couple of weeks ago), I did it last and the PC hung for over 30 minutes during the reboot, so it must have been the culprit. I finally forced a shutdown and all was well after reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.