Windows Update error 80070422

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I ran it, but it mistakenly thinks that Windows Update is working, and gives me the option to open Windows Update - which is still not working. Since I thinks Windows Update is working fine I'm not give the option to use aggressive mode.

2. roger_m

I have Windows Firewall always turned off because I can not check for Windows updates on any computer due some issue the wireless router where I live. I have never actually looked into why this is the case.

However I did do the reset to default settings and then turned off Windows Firewall again. But it did not help.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was getting this error I think on a XP lappy. I tried lots. Then I updated IE to IE8. Then WU works.

So I know my own w7x64 lap has IE11. Curious what version of IE do you have?
    If not 11 I'd update.

On that xp lappy I'm working on that worked. Try updating if you're not on 11.

4. roger_m

I've using Internet Explorer 9 and can't update to 10 or 11. I get taken to webpage to download missing Windows Updates which are required to install a newer version of IE. However for all of the updates when I try and install them I'm told I don't need the update - so it would seem that they are all installed already.

5. roger_m

I got a notification saying my computer needed to reboot to install new updates. Also I got a notification about there being new Windows Updates to download, however when I clicked on the notification to take me to Windows Update, I was still getting the same error. It appears that Windows Update does actually find new updates when I check for updates, but for some reason is unable to display the found updates.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7. roger_m

I ran the installer for IE 10 but, as before the installer did a check for updates and then gave me a link to Microsoft to download the "missing" updates.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Hope you get sorted.

9. roger_m

I also ran System Repair Engineer today, which of course didn't fix the problem either.

I can't think of anything else to try right now.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You mentioned a piece of software that took over for WU. Something like Quihoo or 360. I suggest reinstalling it & see if WU functionality returns through that program itself. Then with it still installed see if WU works by itself. Also if there's some setting within program that will release control of WU to WU.

Also all those fixes you tried did you try them with the offending program installed? If not I suggest you do. Also see if that program has a forum or CS & tell them their program broke WU & do they have any fix.

11. roger_m

Yes, Baidu PC Faster did that. It does have the option to disable it's own update function so that it no longer replaces Windows Update. However I was unable to disable it - I would disable it, but when I went back to the settings it was still enabled.

Installing PC Faster again is a good suggestion and I will try that.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Between all these operations I suggest rebooting your pc. Sometimes fixes or results of changes don't take place till after a reboot. Even if the program doesn't prompt for a reboot.

13. roger_m

I have been doing that.

I have not been able to reinstall PC Faster due to errors, but am going to try again now in safe mode.

I can confirm however that Windows Update is automatically finding and successfully installing new updates - it does show that new updates have been installed. However, when I manually check for updates, it does actually find updates but for some reason give an error message instead of showing the found updates, which is strange considering it does find updates.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well at least it's installing updates. Just not manually. You won't have an unpatched OS. :thumb:

15. roger_m

Yes, 6 updates were install today, which is good of course. But the bad thing is that I can't install optional updates.

16. roger_m

I installed Rising PC Doctor - it found a few Windows Updates, but did not find any problems with my computer.

I did a scan with Kaspersky Security Scan yesterday and it found no infections.

17. roger_m

Does anyone have any suggestions for any other software to repair Windows? I can't think of anything else to try right now.

Maybe I should email Reimage and they can diagnose why Reimage fails to complete the repairs.

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive used some of the chinese security software that has the windows update stuff in them and find them unreliable.Personally i wouldnt use any other updater than windows/microsoft updater and it seems to be working ok for you now.Some updates wont install because maybe they are not needed ive come accross that before.
    You could maybe try switching from windows updates to microsoft updates and vice versa and see iif that makes a difference.It doesnt sound like theres a lot wrong though if it s auto updating OK.

19. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I haven´t read this thread in detail, so I don´t know if you already tried this procedure. But I post the link anyway. I have used it many times to solve Windows Update problems, although in principle it applies to a different error.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97775-update-error-80070643-a.html

20. roger_m

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it did not help and I still get the same error.

21. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The things that was suggested, should have worked. Baidu PC Faster software must not be properly uninstalling it all. I would contact technical support and see if they offer special cleanup utility.

22. roger_m

I was able to install and old version of PC Faster, and Smart Update was disabled. I enabled Smart Update and then I couldn't check for updates with Windows Update as Windows Update said it was disabled.

When I disabled Smart Update, I ran Windows Update again and I was back to getting the original error message.

At least I can confirm that PC Faster is not causing the problem.

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just because Baidu PC Faster is not now causing the WU problem.

This does not let Baidu PC Faster off the hook.

Imo Baidu PC Faster did cause the problem.

As others have stated I too don't take any stock in programs that boast that they'll make your PC faster. And when 'Faster' is in the name of the program that's even worse. :argh:

24. roger_m

I have proven that it did not cause the problem. When I turned off Smart Update - Windows Update was enabled again.

I've used just about every single on of these programs and PC Faster is one of the best, and is safe to use.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.