Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'hardware' started by snowbound, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I'd like to hear from folks who have made this conversion. Likes and dislikes, and overall regrets if any.

I'm seriously thinking of making the change myself(iMac) and would appreciate any input on this. I haven't had a chance yet to fool around with a Mac so that's something i need to do too. Also in terms of security, what would be needed if any.

snowbound

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I don't think Macs were ever 'more secure' even though that is the marketing spin. Now as more people are using Macs, it is becoming a real target for malware writers and there have been an increasing trend in malware for Macs.

3. snowbound

I agree thanks. Hopefully, if there are any Mac users who frequent here, they will chime in on differences good or bad between the two. I don't really require a Mac per say as i'm not heavy into graphics and such but i do like the challenge of something new.

snowbound

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thats one myth,Pc are equally capable of doing resource hungry graphics,system wise there are no differences in that respect.

5. snowbound

Ok, so generally speaking, what would u say are some legitimate hurdles when going from PC to Mac ?

snowbound

6. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

I just switched to Mac and there is one thing you have to be careful about.. the directory, in Windows you just defrag where as in Mac you have to rebuild the directory to do that I would either use Disk Warrior or Drive Genius but they dont work on the newer Macs due to a different kernel altogeter, luckily for me I knew somebody with another Mac that could solve my problem but if you dont know anybody with a Mac or if you dont have an external drive with OS X on it it's a huge problem.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

9. snowbound

I've done a lot of research already on Mac issues but i value the opinions of the members here at Wilders so thanks for the additional info. :)

I guess the only way to really know is to take one for a test drive.

snowbound

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That will be illegal though.

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Let me clarify. You are saying that even if you buy it, the license agreement states that it can ONLY be installed on Apple hardware?

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes I mean that.

13. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Apple Computer, Inc.
    Software License Agreement for Mac OS X

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time....

14. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well it would have been a good way to test it out. Whatever happened to vendors trying to reduce the hurdles to implementations?

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Do you have a friend who could lend you one ?
    I've been using a spare iMac from a friend :shifty:

My first GUI experience was on Apple Macs: way back in ~ '85
    loved it then.
    They work good. They are sexy as hell: cant deny just going over to them in the shop to have a fondle now and then, very desirable and ultra cool compared to Lenovo lol.

The graphics sometimes annoy me: the dock: I need some calm on the desktop ;) Tweak tweak..
    Why are defaults always the attempt to razzle dazzle?
    Then again ..I couldn't give a fig about beryl et al.. :p

I'm also tempted to change as my office stuff also runs on Macs.
    ( too lazy to see if that means Unix as well : suspect the neccessary utilities may be a bit confusing for the MS centric office staff.)

When i take a presentation or such 'on the road' usually on USB I need to be able to run on most places/sites default = MS.
    The Office 2007 change up caused me lots of issues while I sorted out compatibility and remembering to save in special formats o_O
    I had to keep/take several separate formats of the same stuff for a while.

I note the comment re the "single unit design"; this gives me pause..we are all so used to chopping and changing add-ons with the Wintel or *nix boxes.
    Keep spares: have options: selective upgrades of HW at knock down prices..
    While there is no doubt about the design kudos to Apple: (long way from the beige box !!) there is something in me that wants a more open ended option.

The resistance of Apple to recognize ANY FAULTS AT ALL is an annoyance: MS at least seems to have learnt a bit ( ..a leetle bit..).. and non-mac HW is now really well supported at most outlets and sooo cheap.

Heh hee> just try dropping in to pick up or exchange a new HW device from apple.

I know, it;s not that bad..but..Just have to ask the question: "Is it the Right Tool": cause that's all it really is.

Good Luck, it is a fairly big $$ issue, not just A Mac but roll over the PC Clone goodies which are still possibly a high end set-up and may have years of good use left, time for learning curve even for you etc etc:

Anyhoo Snowy: rant off :post back...about how it goes ( or not), be interested to hear your thoughts. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  16. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This really sours my curiosity about Macs--I am amazed and dumbfounded (seems like a bad dream compared to XP).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.