Windows SteadyState! In the vein of: "No love for..."

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Like the Ghost 14 thread, there is never much discussion about SteadyState. I used over a weekend we had guests, including teenagers. I gave them free access to the desktop with SS enabled. The thing I like about it, you can test software that requires a reboot to install and you'll stay in the virtual environment if you so choose. I used v2.5 beta without any conflicts. I disabled the default 3:00 AM software update and just left everything update Monday.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed it once and it told me to activate my already activated Windows within 3 days. I don't like to hear this, because I hate phone-activations.
    I didn't even trust my Windows anymore. So I restored an image, to get my healthy system back and that was the end of Windows SteadyState on my computer.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Has SS been updated lately - SS team worked on the issues some users had with the time it would take to boot the machine.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

That is why I went with the beta because it was one of the issues they resolved. It takes a minute or so for it to create a partition (or whatever you want to call it) but nothing like a hang.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thanks ratchet, then I may take a look.

6. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I had BSOD issues with my test machine but that was 2.0. I assume 2.5 is the latest version? It appears it is out of beta on the SS website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.