Windows SteadyState! In the vein of: "No love for..."

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Like the Ghost 14 thread, there is never much discussion about SteadyState. I used over a weekend we had guests, including teenagers. I gave them free access to the desktop with SS enabled. The thing I like about it, you can test software that requires a reboot to install and you'll stay in the virtual environment if you so choose. I used v2.5 beta without any conflicts. I disabled the default 3:00 AM software update and just left everything update Monday.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed it once and it told me to activate my already activated Windows within 3 days. I don't like to hear this, because I hate phone-activations.
    I didn't even trust my Windows anymore. So I restored an image, to get my healthy system back and that was the end of Windows SteadyState on my computer.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Has SS been updated lately - SS team worked on the issues some users had with the time it would take to boot the machine.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

That is why I went with the beta because it was one of the issues they resolved. It takes a minute or so for it to create a partition (or whatever you want to call it) but nothing like a hang.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thanks ratchet, then I may take a look.

6. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I had BSOD issues with my test machine but that was 2.0. I assume 2.5 is the latest version? It appears it is out of beta on the SS website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.