Windows SP3 is stuck while installing.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'll try ONE more time this time from the standalone version. *Crosses fingers*

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    It took a real long time on my semi-retired Compaq which is on loan to a friend that I see on a weekly basis and make sure they get their updates and Virus scans etc. This machine is 256k ram running 900 MHz Celeron on DSL.

It took over 15 minutes. It went smooth all things considered. When I realized what a load it was I did turn off the little red umbrella (could have really gotten all wet :D :D ) to reduce the resource usage, and allow the thing to run without the usual sniff from the AV. Be aware at times it looks as if it is hung particularly during the registry work over. The update is very good at explaining what step it is preforming. I would be very careful in fooling with the update in progress.

Be aware that when you reboot that it takes longer there to, at least this was my experience on an old resource challenged machine.

The current machine I am on now is much newer but it is a cheap system PC 2 below. I am still running SP2. No update notice yet. I do note above that someone suggested going and manually getting it, this might be a good idea. I think one has more control such as system prep. Clean up, defrag and turn down the security for the install.

I would recommend in the future that MS tell us when it is a SP# what ever that way you know this is going to be a big one. Maybe they did and I just missed it, but I don't think so. It just said like it all ways does 'you have an update'. :doubt:

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hope it works for you I am not so sure I would do that. I just clicked on the link. what I thought was being suggested was a manual update directly from the site. This is IT and Developer down load. I don't know what might be in there...:doubt:

4. cheater87

I saw that the microsoft site did say to go to that if you can't update though windows updates.

5. cheater87

GRRRR this one is stuck also. Thats its I GIVE UP.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

IMO, if one has been diligent in updating the WinXP OS to SP2 and also installing ALL subsequent monthly Patch Tuesdays via the Windows Updates since SP2, the small number of enhancements found in SP3 might not be worth all the trouble. If you are looking for a substantial XP performance boost, buy more RAM!

Yes, the Automatic Update yellow shield will bug you to death and make you feel guilty for not doing it, yet Microsoft is even telling you that "This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system" so why risk it and go through what cheater87 has experienced.

You can make up your own mind by reading this: Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.pdf

7. cheater87

I have windows update to download the updates and not install them.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

cheater87, very wise indeed! I don't even download the updates. I allow the shield to notify me and then go to the Windows Update page to get them. A lot faster!

For Windows Defender, I don't use the shield since it doesn't seem to adequately report daily updates; I go here instead: Install the latest Windows Defender definition updates on a daily basis.

10. cheater87

I'll try in safe mode and if it does not work that way THEN give up.

11. cheater87

It would not do anything and froze when I clicked on it. :(

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would just forget it, and go into Win Update manually and try to find a way to hide or turn off the SP3 update so it doesn't keep showing up. Do a restore, and then immediately run Win Update manually and try to hide it. There must be a way to stop it from showing up etc..

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

There is a way, should the yellow shield annoy you:

Click the Windows Update icon in the Notification Tray
    Uncheck the box next to SP3 ONLY
    Click OK
    At the next window, check "Don't show me this update again"
    Click OK
    The yellow shield goes away (if SP3 was the only reported item)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.