Windows not recognizing .msi file

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mustang1, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mustang1

Mustang1 Registered Member

Hi, all

I wanted to try the 30 day trial of NOD32 anti-virus, and finally got it d/l'd, which is not that straight forward, but anyway, windows doesn't know what to do with the .msi file. I did some searching here, and I saw where someone recommended going to run> services.msc > windows installer and make sure it's running. I did that, but still no luck. This can't be that hard, any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Mustang1

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Also, I did go ahead and buy the package, went through the registration, got a user name and password, but when I go back to the download page, it doesn't recognize them. o_O What am I doing wrong? It can't be that hard to buy software!!

3. Gene Benson

Gene Benson Registered Member

Hi Mustang1,

Perhaps this will help. Hope it does. ;)

4. Mustang1

Thanks for the reply, Gene, unfortunately that doesn't work. I have XP Pro SP3, and that upgrade is already in there. I purchased two days ago, and still no help. Maybe I'll just stay with Avira.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

try to run the msi file through command prompt:

"msiexec /i eav_nt32_enu.msi"

7. Mustang1

Thanks for the suggestion, nonoise. I copied the above syntax, and tried a space after the slash, got various responses, "invalid name, are you sure you typed the name correctly" sort of message, to no response at all. I'm running out of ideas.

I still have only been able to download the trials. I bought the full suite on Saturday, and still don't have a password for that either, nor any response from ESET. I'm getting ready to call my credit card company and tell them to cancel.

8. axial

axial Registered Member

There are some apparently known problems with SP3 clobbering the msiexec being able to install apps. I just did a google for "msiexec sp3" and found several postings on other forums about the problem.

Being cautious about board rules I don't want to post the thread here directly, but if you surch the AumHa
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=62&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=0 forums you'll undoubtedly find some pertinent threads.

9. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

go to Start -> Run -> type "cmd" (without "") -> you are now in folder C:\documents and settings\*your username* -> navigate to folder with the nod32 msi file -> then type "msiexec /i eav_nt32_enu.msi" (without "")

10. Mustang1

Thanks, nonoise. I'll give that a try.

11. Mustang1

Thanks, axial. I appreciate the post.

12. Mustang1

Nonoise, with your kind help, I got ESS installed using DOS! LOL!! That caused me to dig out my old MSDOS book! I have never had so much trouble buying, opening or installing a program. o_O

Anyway, it's running as I type. Now on to that "100% computer usage" thread.....that's what's happening.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.