Windows Messenger Ports

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by spm, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spm

spm Registered Member

While we currently have Windows Messenger disabled on all machines in our small office network here, new procedures mean that we will be making use of Windows Messenger shortly.

Can anyone tell me what protocols/ports need to be closed/stealthed to keep outsiders off of Messenger? I'm confident our current firewall settings will take care of this, but I want to be 100% sure. TIA.

2. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Nite,

Have a look here :

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

Rgds,

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Jack

excuse me please.....is he referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger o_O
    if its Windows Messenger then MS support lists these ports.

The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445; and an ephemeral port number above 1024.

please excuse my butting in..........oh, an watch that port 135....for <direct advertising>
    if these are the correct ports then Jack is far more knowledge to advises

4. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Snowy :)

You are right about messenger service but he spoke about Windows Messenger, wasn't he ?
    Both Windows and MSN Messenger use the same ports.

Good WE,

5. spm

spm Registered Member

Snowy, Jack

Thanks for your responses. I am referring to the messenger service, in fact, so Jack's info is what I am looking for.

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Jack

see, I knew you would know what I didn't know but now know because you shared what you knew...LOL

Have A Good One LOL

7. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Steve,

If you are referring to messenger Service and *NOT*
    Windows or MSN Messenger, Snowy is right :)

Rgds,

8. spm

spm Registered Member

You're right, Jack: as I said, I was referring to the messenger service, and of course it was indeed Snowy's response that I was looking for. Thanks to you Snowy (and for your help too, JacK).

Are we clear now :doubt:?

My only excuse for getting your names mixed up is it was after midnight after a very long day's work :'(

9. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Steve :cool:

No harm done : essential is you get the right info but look at the subject your posted lol : Windows Messenger Ports

Don't work to hard and make up your mind :

Drinking or computing :D

Cheers,

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Steve

Is your small office network currently behind a hardware device?

Regards,
    CrazyM

11. spm

spm Registered Member

Well, I wasn't aware there was a difference between 'Windows Messenger' and the Windows 'messenger service'.

And although I hadn't been drinking yesterday, I would choose drinking over computing anytime. :D

12. spm

spm Registered Member

Hi CrazyM:

No. We are, however, running a network firewall on the ICS-hosting machine, and a personal firewall on each client.

We have all external ports properly stealthed, but I still wanted to have the port info to hand for quality purposes and possible future use here.

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Steve

As long as you are not forwarding any of those services through the gateway system you should be fine running messenger on the LAN side. The firewalls on the clients should be configured to restrict this traffic to LAN systems...but I take it this is what you likely had in mind by asking what services are used ;)

Regards,
    CrazyM

14. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi guys

I have been up to this msn port issue about for a year now. New versions are revealed faster than you have time to think of installing them....Ok, I have noticed msn messenger pass by proxy settings; it connects to net on my primary ip and secondary ip and futhermore it even listen to null port. I scanned ports using "Ants version 2.0" and here is the result, everytime the same. If I disabled msn messenger, open ports won´t be shown.

Port 1420 offen. Wahrscheinlicher Trojaner: Kein Trojaner gefunden
    Port 1445 offen. Wahrscheinlicher Trojaner: Kein Trojaner gefunden
    Port 1450 offen. Wahrscheinlicher Trojaner: Kein Trojaner gefunden

I have tested all of msn messenger versions just by scanning all ports and my conclution is that we should be worried because of msn messenger is really increasing the amount of ports which it is listening. The newest version was released recently but I haven´t downloaded it yet, it goes even worse.

versions I do have stored on my HD are:

3.6.0039 MMSSETUP.EXE
    4.5.0127 MMSSETUP.EXE
    4.6.0082 MMSSETUP.EXE
    4.6.0083 MMSSETUP.EXE
    4.71.1015.0 WEXTRACT.EXE

I recommend using the version 3.6.0039; it appeared opening just one port The Ants found opened. Weird eh? I also checked the result out using TFAK scanner. All the same result.

best regards ^Ari^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.