Windows Memory Dump Files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have searched the Forums, but found nothing on this.

Only recently I noticed a file MEMORY.DMP on my defrag list which has never been there before. It cannot be defragged and is 457 MB large.

It cannot be deleted in the normal way and just sits on my PC like some huge gluttonous, untouchable fatty which has consumed all McDonald`s supply of beefburgers at one sitting.

I have cheated though, found a way of kicking it into the Recycle Bin using UNLOCKER ASSISTENT. :D

This MEMORY.DMP file appeared immediately after I did a full intrusive Root Kit check on the Registry. This check also fragmented my PC into more pieces than a Claymore AP device - I had 24,239 fragments in 697 files taking up 1.6GB. It took a long time defragging it all back again to a few KB, with the exception of MEMORY.DMP which seemed armor plated and indestructible.

QUESTIONS ;-

1) Where did this big MEMORY.DMP fatty come from so suddenly ?

2) Can I safely delete it without causing a catastrophic nightmare ?

I await the comments of experts
    Thanking you very much
    KAS
    :thumbd:

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Obviously either Windows or some app caused a dump to file of your RAM. I don't see any reason why you can't nuke it, if in fact, that's all it is.

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Info:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.