Windows LUA - keeping various software updated

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NGRhodes, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hi,

Just wondering how running LUA affects the practicalities of keeping software updated, specific examples would be Firefox, Thunderbird and Google earth ?

This is for a very basic user, XP or Win 7 considered.

Cheers, Nick

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not sure regarding those specific programs you mention.

But when I update Safari for example I need to do that from the Admin account since the update process won't even start under LUA. On XP that is.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Log in to administrator account to run updates or right-click program and choose "Run as administrator" and in the case of Win7 enter admin credentials in UAC pop-up. I use SuRun-right-click..."Start as administrator" in Win7 so I don't have to enter credentials (convenience for me) to elevate the program.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

For XP there is the "run as Admin" option when you're logged in with a LUA, however it doesn't always work in my experience. Of course you can log in with the Admin account to install updates. There are situations though where account specific changes need to be made during installs and the way to deal with it is temporarily change the LUA to an Admin account.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

My experience is that this option never works. Therefore I always login to the Admin account so I know that the update will install as it should and not get corrupted.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Cheers for info.

I decided to drop XP and try a Win7 VM.

LUA + UAC work as I hoped and for example notepad++ downloaded and I was able to check and install updates.

Just need to see if the machine that I need to setup can run Win7 adequatley.

Cheers, Nick.

7. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.