Windows Live OneCare 2.5 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by midway40, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Rhuds, that is good news about LiveUpdate. When I read your post I had a thought and installed SiteAdvisor. So far no warning klaxons have went off. I ran a quick scan in which I saw it scanning the Programs folder and still no warnings. This will make some people happy.

This must be some of the changes they have implemented.

Oh well, Solcroft, like I said it is not perfect (but then again what is? :) ). If it slips by OC then UAC/Protected Mode should catch it.

BigC, it is just like the way I do defragging now. Ever since I got Vista I just use it's defragger on a schedule. I haven't done a manual defrag in over a year. Now OneCare's Tuneup handles it which I have set to run once every 2 weeks. I am getting tired of the maintenance and want the computer to work for me instead the other way around (btw, OneCare uses XP's or Vista's defrag engine with the only difference that it does not analyze the drives but goes ahead and defrags them regardless). I got better things to do than tinkering around with settings all the time or watching pretty colored lines or blocks move around the screen, lol.

Still, I understand how some people would want more control. To me it is more work, lol.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I fully agree, it is time the computer starts working for me rather than the other way around :thumb: :D

bigc

3. bigc73542

I did find this on one of the OC pages at MS. It lists some of the changes the Beta has but not all of them. I am still curious what the rest of the changes are??

Attached Files:

4. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

Sometimes I run Auslogics Disk Defrag as it seems to help with defrag. And also CCleaner now and then. OC ran the tune-up and defrag on 187 gigs of files in very short time compared to my normal Avast scans.

5. bigc73542

I have had very bad experiences with CrapCleaner. :mad: It will delete system files. I would be very careful with it.

6. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

Have not had problems with new versions, but before I install it I first make a image of system with all updates and settings as I like it. I learned the hard way to do things this way and also to keep two copies of image just in case.:D

7. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I keep coming back to WLOC on my 64 bit Vista boxes (I also have a copy of NOD32 I use on one). Its improving on a lot of the independent tests, and frankly has been the smoothest AV on Vista I've seen (least "issues").

As for how well it secures my machines... Other than what appears to be sup-par reaction speed to new threats (i.e. new signatures), it seems to be working well. I'm a fairly safe surfer though; If I were visiting a lot of unsafe sites, I'd probably go with stronger protection (or at least augment it).

8. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

/me mumbles something about his DR/Zlob.Gen working just fine...

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I'd post VT logs, but I think the admins frown on those... o_O

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Are you talking about the dropper or the downloader dll? Or about the Vapsup adware, that is often "bundled"?

Otherwise, just send the sample to heuristik2@avira.com and I update the .Gen.

11. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I'm talking about the dropper itself: the fake codec .exe that websites serve up.

~~~ comment & VT link removed per policy ~~~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  12. midway40

I just found this:

It is still English only and they do not mention which countries either. I guess you will know when you go to sign up.

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thanks. I will try to install it on my system. I have wanted to try it for for ages, and previous versions haven't been able to be installed in my language, so I really hope they fix this. I do not see the tacticts they have, with not releasing it to everyone.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  14. midway40

Where do you live, Jadda?

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Norway.

And no, it did not install on my system. As I thought. I know you said on English systems, but I wanted to try anyway. Maybe it will be implented in version 3 then. :)

16. midway40

The countries it refers to must be the ones 2.0 supports:

Someone asked on the forum why OC isn't offered in more countries and the mod replied that he wasn't sure but it must have to do with licensing, support, and "other mysterious factors", lol.

17. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

"Other mysterious factors" - Haha, ok. Good enough for me. :p

But it will probably support other languages in the future. I hope atleast. Because OneCare really looks like a great software I would be glad to test. I guess I just have to wait.

But I see now, that it support way more languages now, than when it was released. So that is just positive.

18. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

I think that kaspersky performance at detecting zlob variants are good

and don’t forget that they have the fastest response to new threat

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

We have seen that WLOC has been improving it's signature detection but it is still behind in heuristics. Perhaps that is why it is good at cleaning up zlob but not good at detecting new variants?

20. Tony

Tony Registered Member

How are people finding the Beta version of WLOC??

Are you still trialling it Bigc and Midway.

21. midway40

I am still using it. Other than letting some programs coexist with it such as Siteadvisor and LiveUpdate, not really any noticeable differences.

The Beta can be gotten from MS Connect.

22. bigc73542

I am still useing it and it seems to be working very well. The resource use is not noticeable at all it runs very light. I wish there were a few more user settings but I can live without them, actually that is one reason I wanted to try this. unless something drastic happens I will run it the whole 200+ day trial. I did receive a token from MS if you know what that is, but I won't go into detail since the email from MS said not to. Overall I like it so far, it is easy to forget it is even there unless the firewall want's permission to allow or deny a connection.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  23. midway40

BigC, I am glad you mentioned the token. I haven't checked my Hotmail in a while so I just checked it and got my token :) .

24. bigc73542

Good deal:thumb: :thumb:

25. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Got mine too, how come people are finding it light? It's heavy, especially after hibernating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.