Windows ---> Linux, do I still need to worry about viruses?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Re: Widows ---> Linux, do I still need to worry about viruses?

They're both online scans. No, thanks.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Re: Widows ---> Linux, do I still need to worry about viruses?

Potentially malicious files that you want to keep completely private, I wonder what those are.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You need not worry. In Windows, too.
    Mrk

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The likelihood of coming across Linux-specific malware is orders of magnitude lower than on the Windows platform, and the malware that is out there which is Linux-specific tends to target things like web servers, as that's where the malware authors can make money by serving up web pages with exploits.

There is, however, non-platform specific malware based on cross-platform technologies like Adobe Flash, HTML, Java, JavaScript, PDF and so forth, although these usually contain payloads targeting other operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows.

Although the threat of malware on Linux is much, much lower than on Windows, it's not at zero, either. It's really up to you to assess that risk level, and decide whether or not you want to run some sort of anti-malware program on your computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.