Windows Installer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Relemar, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've definitely been infected with Trojans and Viruses, my PC's screwed. I have nothing to so or can do. PC performs outstanding, but all the files and crap are corrupt. I guess I'm doomed.

Just please give me advise. Now my goal is to repair system files etc and get some stuff working.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Try scannow. You'll have to modify your registry if there's any chance of recovering lost file's.
    There's a possibility based on how your install was updated that it won't run.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Hold off on the above a moment. Load one of those cd's and exit any auto-start window's.
    Open a shell, then enter these command's in succession.

cd /d (disk drive holding the cd: c:\ - e:\ - f:\ - etc)

dir /a /x >%systemdrive%\cd1.txt

Do the same with the other cd changing the name at the end of the second command above, cd2.txt. Find both file's on your drive letter root, append one to the other, then upload the one as an attachment (just like a screenshot, except you'll be uploading a text file instead).

If you know your way around a shell perhap's you can determine the location,
    including full path, to the i386 folder.

Edit: Pickup from the top .... enter the following command's at a prompt.
    Copy/paste result's from each, edit non-essential's, include with your reply.

reg query hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup /v sourcepath

reg query hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup /v servicepacksourcepath

reg query "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion" /v sourcepath

Worse come's to worse, you could alway's get online and grab stuff with Knoppix.
    Is window's all on one partition? How much ram's onboard?

Steve

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  3. Relemar

I bought my PC with Win dows XP onboard fully installed, then I upgraded and the restore CD I got is useless I have nothing on my HDD it's new!

I'm doomed like I say.

4. Relemar

Rofl, I've made a new user account and everything is perfect!

Wth?

5. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Well that's a relief! Am very glad you have now got your system back up and running. :)

6. Relemar

I'm totally messed up, I've made a new account, but I want to make another one. I can't access User Accounts or anything, I have no clue what to do! When I open USer accounts it just is blank.

7. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Relemar:)
    I think it's time that you got some local help to get your problem sorted out maybe a local computer technician could go round your house and get it it to some sort of order for you.

Regards

8. Relemar

Well, now It's running fine. But just one problem, Windows Installer. Add/Remove
    Programs doesn't seem to be installed but everything else seems to work fine.

So, thanks.

9. NICK ADSL UK

Your welcome :)

Regards

10. Relemar

Still I need my flippin Windows Installer and add remove programs back!

I try donwloading and install but no luck.

11. GlobalForce

Look, it's simple. We're here to help but there's been absolutely ZERO cooperation on your part. It's like a group of builder's (those trying to help) dealing with a supplier (you) who own's an empty stock yard .... there's nothing to work with! Beyond several ignored request's, what is it you think you'd like to hear or for any of us to ask you?

Steve

12. GlobalForce

"I'm having several problems with Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) if I re-install SP2, will this fix any problems?"

You can pick it up right here Relemar.

Was there a recovery partition installed on your hard drive (d:\ - e:\)?
    What about the i386 folder, is there one on you current install?

Edit: This is how you re-install for your particular circumstance. Use g-parted prior to resize the amount of disk space occupied by window's. Room enough for a new partition will result (may ask for your cd which is one reason the source location is modified inside the registry). Then simply run setup from from the existing install and point it toward's your new partition. This scenario allow's you to accomplish the re-install without having to create a bootable cd.

*Will work if your i386 folder is as described above.

Steve

Last edited: May 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.