Windows Installer Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

On my older computer I have XP Home and something has gone nuts. On some of my programs when I try to open it a box pops up Windows Installer telling me to put the disk in so it can install it. Of course the program is allready installed. When this happens I have to push the off button because the Windows Installer box won't go away and it won't let me reboot. Now it is even asking for the wrong program disk. Has anyone run into this ?

2. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Any error code's Will?

ht*tp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/error_codes.asp

GF

3. dog

dog Guest

Try re-installing whatever apps are causing the issue. Example: If you try to start MS Word, Spyware Blaster or whatever application and it generates that prompt, try re-installing it and see see if that fixes the issue.

4. Global Force

Global Force Guest

You might also take a look at this ....

ht*tp://www.updatexp.com/windows-update-keeps-prompting.html

GF

5. WilliamP

I don't get any error codes. It won't let me delete or load the programs. I had tried to open FD ISR and it told me to put in the Forest StartMan disk. I tried to delete StartMan and I couldn't even in Safe Mode.

6. Global Force

Global Force Guest

I don't think I'll be able to assist here Will, sorry .... not my neck of the neighborhood.

GF

7. WilliamP

I'm beginning to think I am going to need to format and start over. I've never done that before. The condition seems to get worse as time goes by.

8. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I had a similar problem recently - when I right-clicked on a program, it started a window telling me that I needed to put the cd in the drive to install Easy CD Creator, which had nothing to do with my task. I could repeated hit "close" in the box until it went away after about 10 seconds & I could proceed.

I finally solved my problem by totally removing the Easy CD Creator, since I never used that program anyways. That finally fixed it. Some association problem or something like that?
    Good luck with yours.

Rob

9. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi William :)
    Before you consider reformatting the drive have a good clean up with a registry cleaner then go in to the control panel and look in add/remove program's to make sure everything in there you can account for. On any software that you find causing you a problem then remove it and then reinstall it again. Software that wont uninstall can normally be removed by the windows installer clean up found here. As i say give the above a try and let us know how it goes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Regards

10. WilliamP

I have studied that Windows Installer Cleaner and plan to give it a try this weekend. The thing that concerns me is that it seems to involve more and more of the programs.

11. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi William :)
    All that the windows installer clean up does is to remove what the windows installer originally installed. You may well find that when you come to run it some of your software will not be listed in the windows installer clean up application. Which in that case you will have to find a work around. Please do let us know how you get on

Regards

12. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Will,

You could export this key from the registry to help keep track of programs ....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

GF

13. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

norton 2005 causes same problem when you move or delet icons

some programs if you delet start up folders and icons off your desktop they will ask you to reinstall

sucks

normaly when this stuff happens i reinstall the program

then i use jv16 power tools to uninstall everything that i just installed reboot

go to programs folder in c drive look for the folder of the offending folder and delet it

then if it dosent go alway i use unlock utlity to delet it

then i do a search useing computer search and type in the offending programs name delet every trace of it

then go to start run type reg edit go to computer type in offending program name and delet only specfic reg keys asochiated with that program

yadah yadah zap pro security suit is one evill program

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Windows Installer Clean Up 2.05.00.0000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.

This works for me.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.