Windows gone nuts...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ccd, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ccd

Ccd Registered Member

I'm currently using windows XP and recently, the whole system has gone nuts. I've checked for sypwares etc. (using Spybot), it says everything is fine. Only, when I use internet explorer, at some point the computer stops responding. I get menus as if I keep double-clicking everywhere on the screen. Some of the programs I'm using shut down on their own!

Is as if the computer is frozen but I can still use the mouse and switch from a program to another but they don't respond. Even task manager acts as if I didn't send a command. It's really weird...would that be a virus? What can be done?

Thanks.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hi Ccd...Welcome to Wilders!

have you tried scanning with anything besides Spybot S&D? It is a great program, but shouldn't be your only line of defense.

Have you looked at your running processes to see if anything is eating up your processer/memory?

I hope this helps:

**Use caution when editing the registry, you could wipe out your system if used incorrectly**
    First, Check to see if baddies are listed in your registry to start up with windows:
    1. Start | Run | type "regedit" and hit enter
    2. Browse registry to key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    to see if anything suspicious is listed in there. If there is, delete it.

Next, Scan your system with a few clean-up tools:
    Anti-Spyware:
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware
    SpywareBlaster (not a scanner, but a prevention tool)
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta (2000/XP Only)
    Anti-Trojan:
    A2
    Ewido

Good Luck and let us know how you go :)

3. ravin

ravin Registered Member

try downloading the trial of webroot spysweeper and also download ewido and run that - sounds like you might have some hijackers. hope this helps. if not post back please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.