Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ftwynne59, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi all

Today I accessed Windows update and a critical update was available...Windows Genuine Advantage Notification KB905474. What I am confused about is that I have already downloaded and installed a WGAN about a month ago...cannot recollect the 'K' number....are there multiples of these WGAN's ??....do I need to download and install this particular WGAN?
    I assume I have a genuine copy of Windows XP SP2 as the previously downloaded WGAN did not prompt any action....

An explanation would be welcomed...:)

ftwynne59

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

The wga has been updated and thats why I think its asking you to update
    (I have just updated mine)

Quote from Wikipedia

Beginning April 25, 2006, Microsoft began distributing Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications [1] as "critical update" KB905474 to millions of Windows users. Users with unofficial copies will be exposed to alerts [2] at startup, login and during use of the Windows OS stating that they do not have a genuine copy of Windows. Users with legitimate copies will not see the alerts. On May 23, 2006, Microsoft updated the program, closing some forms of circumvention, but reportedly not all. It was updated again on May 30, 2006, though some forms of circumvention are still usuable.

3. ftwynne59

Thanks for the speedy response Texcritter....another plus from a superb forum..:D

ftwynne59

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Same here :doubt:
    I haven't found the answer yet but it appears so given the fact the last one I dealt with was KB892130 around the April 25th date.

I have been checking a few threads in Microsofts WGA Validation Forum and may create a thread if I don't run across something in other Forums. Just out of curiosity if nothing else :shifty:

Regards,
    Bubba

5. ftwynne59

Thanks also to Bubba...:)

Would like to understand more about the whole issue surrounding WGAN's....seems like there is more to this than meets the eye...:eek:

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The old way had been cracked. Have a feeling it may have something to do with it. I`m thinking WGA will be an ever evolving thing.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. Paying for a vulnerable Windows and its mediocre MS Applications
    2. A long serial number
    3. An annoying activation that requires an internet connection to get malware.
    4. Now WGAN
    5. What next to encourage people to use Windows ?

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Donations straight to Bill Gates. He will need it after this expensive purchase :D and to support Windows Defenders :D

Alphalutra1

9. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

oh i don't know...maybe buy-out eBay (and Paypal) and then: takeover Citibank or Bank of America followed by Chevron and Shell Oil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.