Windows firewall won't stay on

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by optigrab, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Just realized I had this problem, so circumstances are sketchy.

Reformatted a few weeks ago, installed all XP updates immediately, created an image, and installed KIS2009. After it installed, I realized I allowed the Kaspersky firewall to install (I hadn't meant to). So I modified the installation and re-enabled widows firewall. But for all I know, windows firewall has been disabled ever after.

Today I uninstalled KIS2009 (that's another story) and installed Avira free. Happened to notice through the control panel that Windows firewall was disabled. So I enabled it, but every log off or reboot puts it back to disabled.

As KIS2009 has been on my machine, active and up-to-date since I reformatted, I tend to doubt malware is responsible.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    - Chris

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just wondered if in services you have made sure windows firewall is started and set to automatic.

3. optigrab

Item #1 to check tonight. Thanks. I suppose that's different from simply enabling through the Control Panel "Security Center" and trusting it'll stay put.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Normally if the firewall service is disabled, when you try to start the firewall and the prompt asks you if it ok to start the service, the service is set to automatic.

If the service is set to manual, then what you describe could certainly be the issue.

My xp install always disables the firewall service, and I have always found it annoying that if I start it the service will be set to automatic.

Sul.

5. optigrab

Turns out Windows firewall / ICS is already running and set to automatic. So no luck. Windows firewall still turns off after logoff and/or reboot.

I'm convinced it's related to installing KIS 2009, then uninstalling the firewall.

When I get back from my business trip, I may reformat from my first build image (it was just 3 weeks ago) and start over. I may install Zone Alarm or Comodo in the meantime.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

How did you check it's not running? I'd say the firewall is running, just the WMI junk is corrupt and showing nonsense in the security center.

7. optigrab

Intriguing. Never considered that. I just checked - Services reports ICS is running while Security Center says no. I should have caught that the first time I looked. Thanks. Gonna look into fixing this.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

See howto here ;)

9. optigrab

Well, I genuinely appreciate the help, but I have booted into safe mode, deleted the Repository folder, then rebooted. No joy. Did it again, same result:

(A) Security Center mostly reports XP Firewall is turned off regardless of what the XP Firewall control panel indicates (sometimes on, sometimes off), and (B) XP Firewall control panel usually indicates the firewall is off after logoff or reboot.

By clicking XP Firewall default settings, Security Center will behave properly, but only momentarily.

Other attempts: (1) I have reinstalled the complete KIS2009 and uninstalled. While KIS is installed, Security Center recognizes Kaspersky Firewall just fine, but after uninstalling KIS it continues to report XP firewall is off. (2) I have installed Zone Alarm and uninstalled. Security Center properly recognizes ZA is working, but after uninstall, the XP firewall problems return.

For the time being I have installed Comodo Firewall Pro, and will probably just leave it there as it seems to be running fine and it's not too intrusive.

Down the road if I intend to get Security Center / XP firewall working properly I may attempt some aggressive registry cleaning (Easy Cleaner, Regseeker), or I may use the Kaspersky Removal Tool, or just revert to an image taken right after my last reformat.

P.S. KIS and Avira report my machine is clean, and I'm confident in those results.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think I'd revert back to the last good image myself..... unfortunately, software installs and uninstalls have been known to hose or otherwise mess things up from time to time, that's the risk we all take fooling with all these programs constantly... I know I've done my share of reformats and image restores.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.