Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (Guide for Vista)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Stem, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

If you want stronger outbound protection//control, you will should intervene using windows services (manual//disable), like DNS, Bits, etc...otherwise ?

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Go to

http://www.blackviper.com/category/faq/services-faq/

read it , study it and don't try to second guess it.

If you get your addresses from the router you don't need DNS Client services and can set it to manual. Your DHCP Client would be set on via automatic.

3. bbp12

bbp12 Registered Member

I am running Windows 7 and would really like to be able to only use the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" (no 3rd party firewall or notifier), but am having trouble identifying "outbound" programs, ports and protocols. I went through the steps listed in Stem's April 19th, 2009 post. I have no problem creating rules to allow simple programs (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc) to obtain Internet access.

I have tried using Microsoft's Resource Monitor, firewall log, Event Viewer, Sysinternals, and NirSoft utilities for assistance, but not sure exactly how to locate the information needed when using them.

Hopefully someone here can help guide me with a few examples which hopefully gets me on my way for my future questions. For example, after I lock everything down based on Stem's post, how would I determine what must minimally be allowed for the following:
    1. Date and Time / Internet Time Settings / "Update now"
    2. Windows Update / "Check for updates"
    3. Command Prompt / "ping google.com"
    Of course, if it has been answered before and I just was not able to locate, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, please remember to not just tell me what needs to be opened for my 3 questions, but please instruct me on how to determine so I will know for future questions.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.